Volume select obect emitter slowing machine

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Volume select obect emitter slowing machine

hi
I am trying to use a volume select set of vertices on a lofted object as my emitter for particles.
Issue is machine runs very slow when using this volume select method for particle emmision.
If i switch to an object based emitter (non volume selected) it runs fine.
There are two other particle systems (object based emitters that are running fine as well)
Anyone have any ideas why this might be the case?
thanks

Old 05 May 2013   #2
Think its the loft object. Changed the emitter location from selected vertices to surface and its still having processing issues.

Old 05 May 2013   #3
I had a couple thoughts what if:

You volume select and delete all/most of the surrounding geometry? how is performance then?

Second if you have Box#3 or Advanced Data, create two systems, a seed and a spawn. Basically born particles on the object and lock them to the object then cache (disk cache would be best) that system. In the spawn system simply read the cache particle positions and born children and inherit the velocity vector.

PFlow doesn't like LOL subframe sampling (slows down a system up to tenfold, test it without you may not need the accuracy) anything by map(ping) born, speed, whatever even worse when the maps are animated, and finally born on moving geometry. If you can optimize or cache any of those as base (seed) systems you will be far better off in the long run.

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread