nCloth simulation Gravity issues

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
nCloth simulation Gravity issues

Hey all,

This month i have set myself a challenge to create a sim of my arm disintegrating sort of light the Tron Legacy Deresolution effect.

I have run into a issue with gravity in the scene.... As im using nCloth i have turned off the gravity so that when the volume axis field moves over the nCloth it is affected and drops to the ground. The issue I'm having is that when the nCloth objects hit the ground they bounce back up due to a lack of gravity. What i would like them to do is hit the ground and then spread out across the surface a little some bounce is ok i just dont want them floating away like there in zero gravity. As I'm still learning about Maya dynamics there is no way I know of to add gravity on collision. I have played around with heaps of settings in the nClothShape but cant seem to work this one out.

i have attached a test scene that i have been working on to try and sort this out.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/8yk9n.../SamAprilRnD.mb

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Sam

Old 04 April 2013   #2
I havent opened your scene so forgive me if Im missing your point but why dont you leave gravity on and just keyframe the input mesh attract instead?

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Thanks for the reply Aikiman

I tried that and had no luck. if the whole thing were falling at the same time it would be ok but as there is a volume axis moving over the geometry which causes the geometry to fall it didn't work.

This would be the best example of what im trying to achieve.
http://youtu.be/-sTkksHz_Z8?t=20s

Thanks,

Sam

Old 04 April 2013   #4
I think he meant an animated texture for input mesh attract. An animated black and white ramp maybe.
The volume axis field is an interesting way of looking at it, but I think an animated map + gravity will work better in general.

David

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Thanks for the suggestion David I will have to look into this as I've never used/learnt that method.

correct me if I'm wrong bud do you mean turn the gravity on in the nucleus and add an input attract map of say a ramp that is black and white. then as the field moves across the object adjust the ramp black/white to follow the field?

Thanks,

Sam

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Yes. Use input Mesh Attract with Nucleus gravity on, animate a texture map if you have to - this would be the way to do it.

Old 04 April 2013   #7
@Sam: Yeah, except that you dont need the volume axis field for this. If you drop a ramp texture into the input attract map slot in the nCloth, then the color of the texture will determine the input attraction, based on the uv's of your geo. I tried it in your scene. I used a U-ramp with no interpolation, white bar at 0 and black bar starting at 1, and animating to 0.01 over 100 frames.

Now to have some control over the timing of the drops with this method, you would need to plan the uv layout and the animation of the ramp. There are definately other ways to control the input attract, but see how you go with this one first.

David

Old 04 April 2013   #8
Thanks for the reply's guys

I finally have some time to muck around with it tonight so I will let you know how I go!

Cheers,

Sam

Old 04 April 2013   #9
works like a charm now i just need to overcome some issues with my geometry normals

thanks again all!

Old 04 April 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread