What the deuce? Part one-I have the blues

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
What the deuce? Part one-I have the blues

So I'm cranking away on this huge 6 minute animation and I've had several "What the deuce?" moments that after 10 years of almost daily usage, I still run into production slowing issues that make no sense. So I'm watching the net render clients and what they're making and I notice now and then I see a frame that looks entirely blue. I grab the frames and sure enough, random frames throughout my animation are entirely tinted blue, regardless of the lighting or textures in the rest of the scene. Spent about 30 minutes dissecting the scene and it came down to a texture with transparency with a blue absorption color that was applied to a certain part of a model. For product animations we try to model using non-destructive means so it's easy to tweak if we need to. So this part was made from a complex series of primitives and sweeps and booleans and such, some nested. For whatever reason when the camera came within a certain proximity of the part, the scene would turn blue. If I turn off any booleans, the blue goes away. If I current state to object the part, the blue goes away. Here's where it gets strange. If my editor windows are set to quad and I test render it in the upper left window, it's blue. If I solo that window and make it big and test render, it's not blue. ???. I've greatly simplified and attached the scene if anyone cares to see it and offer any insight as to what the hell is going on. I'll have another one soon.
Attached Files
File Type: zip WhatTheDuece.c4d.zip (73.2 KB, 7 views)
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Old 03 March 2013   #2
I've had this happen before... Trying to remember what the solution was, but it was related to the transparency material. I believe perhaps it was amodel with "open" geometry, and because absorption is a volumetric effect, the logic was that the material was sporadically applied to the environment. I believe it was a glicth but one that could be fixed---will have to look back at my origninal post if I can find it.

Old 03 March 2013   #3
OK--heres my original post
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...&highlight=blue

Are your normals reversed on the transparent object?

Some other things to try--is your transparency material with absorption applied to a poly selection?

Is the scale of the object extremely tiny?

Last edited by JoelDubin : 03 March 2013 at 04:34 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Originally Posted by JoelOtron: I've had this happen before... Trying to remember what the solution was, but it was related to the transparency material. I believe perhaps it was amodel with "open" geometry, and because absorption is a volumetric effect, the logic was that the material was sporadically applied to the environment. I believe it was a glicth but one that could be fixed---will have to look back at my origninal post if I can find it.

That makes sense, I figured something like that or a rogue polygon was filling the scene for some reason. But why, then, will the scene render blue when my editor window is small and in quad mode, but not render blue when the window is large in solo mode? Resizing the window to the same big size while in quad mode still renders blue....
HyperactiveVR

Old 03 March 2013   #5
Originally Posted by JoelOtron: OK--heres my original post
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...&highlight=blue

Are your normals reversed on the transparent object?

Some other things to try--is your transparency material with absorption applied to a poly selection?

Is the scale of the object extremely tiny?

Normal check was my first thought, they were all fine.

It is not applied to a selection, it is applied to the entire part. The thing is a semi-transparent frosty plastic

It's 66 x 33 x 10 cm so I wouldn't classify that as tiny.

Thanks Joel

Thanks Joel.
HyperactiveVR

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Ok, so I just discovered that turning on "Hide new edges" in the top most boolean *seems* to fix the problem. Perhaps there are some new edges formed from the boolean that opens up the volumetric absorption to the scene?
HyperactiveVR

Old 03 March 2013   #7
this is probably not it, and my memories on a similar issue I had are foggy and old - but I had something like this happen a few years back using NET with objects with sub-poly displacement inside a cloner (more specifically - linear clones with sub-poly displacement being moved along a spline using spline wrap I believe)

who knows?

Old 03 March 2013   #8
Originally Posted by mikeh64: this is probably not it, and my memories on a similar issue I had are foggy and old - but I had something like this happen a few years back using NET with objects with sub-poly displacement inside a cloner (more specifically - linear clones with sub-poly displacement being moved along a spline using spline wrap I believe)

who knows?

Not the same thing but I did have that exact issue happen to me last year where the cloned objects would suddenly scale up astronomically for a second then return to normal because of a displacement channel. Fortunately that was reproduceable even in the editor window using a displacement deformer. Turns out the fix was cloning an instance of the model with "Render Instance" checked on instead of the model itself. Took the better part of a day to figure that one out. I'm thinking using a render instance freezes the state of the shader and prevents that for some reason.
HyperactiveVR

Old 03 March 2013   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread