Fluids, light linking and shadows

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Fluids, light linking and shadows

I'm a bit stuck with something and wondering if anyone can help.
It should be really simple, ive got a scene with an internal lit fluid casting shadows (which is what i want) however i only want it to cast on geometry not on another fluid in my scene. I've looked into it and apparently light linking is possible for fluids, but not matter what i do, how many light or shadow links i break the fluid keeps casting, even with every render setting in fluid shape turned off it still casts. The only way to turn it off is to go to the top node(fluid1) and turn off derive from maya and switch to no shadows, but then i get no shadows at all.
Attached sample scene, would be great if someone could take a look. Am i missing something obvious? 1.zip
The top fluid should cast on geometry but not on the other fluid (run to frame 50 or so)
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1.zip (10.8 KB, 10 views)

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Have you tried to turn off 'receive shadows' in the render stats of the fluidShape node?

Old 01 January 2013   #3
hey, yeah ive tried all that. If you would, could you try downloading the sample scene i attatched, and trying yourself, just so i can rule out if its me missing something or not. I cant even stop it casting on the geometry with that method, which is strange. Whether i turn off cast in the fluidShape or recieve in geometry/second fluid in scene - it just has no effect

Old 01 January 2013   #4
I had a play around with it and couldn't get it to work either. I think that with fluids being such a special type of node (they are both a dynamics node AND a shader node at the same time. it assigns itself as the shader), that mental ray or maya might be doing something strange to render it. The easiest way out from this to get what you want is to do it in different passes and composite them together.

Old 01 January 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread