AMD Phenom upgrade

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2012   #1
Question AMD Phenom upgrade

Hi guys.

Been a while since I've been on this forum as I have moved away from 3D graphics and into the world of web design. However I reckon you guys on here know more about hardware so I am posting my query on this forum.

I have an Acer Aspire X3200 which currently has an AMD Phenom™ X3 triple-core processor installed. I am wishing to upgrade my processor on a budget and wish to install an AMD X4 quad-core processor.

I can't remember what type of board I have but I think both processors utilize an AM2+ socket which is what my motherboard has.

Does anyone know if I am correct in thinking that my machine can take the X4 processor?

Old 01 January 2012   #2
The processor socket doesn't necessarily mean a particular processor is supported. The BIOS must also support the processor for it to work. Check with the manufacturer to see what processors are supported and under what BIOS, if you can upgrade then a BIOS update will probably be required. Also be sure the cooling is sufficient for the new processor if the wattages differ.

Last edited by olson : 01 January 2012 at 11:12 AM.

Old 01 January 2012   #3
Thanks I never considered that. I will need to check again which motherboard I have. I've never updated the BIOS before. How would I do that? I gather I would be able to download an update for the BIOS off the mobo manufacturer website?

Old 01 January 2012   #4
Originally Posted by jademcquade: Thanks I never considered that. I will need to check again which motherboard I have. I've never updated the BIOS before. How would I do that? I gather I would be able to download an update for the BIOS off the mobo manufacturer website?

Yeah, the BIOS update would come from the motherboard (or computer) manufacturer if an update is available. Typically there's a utility to update the BIOS from Windows or in the BIOS itself from a flash drive.

I don't know if the particular system you have would work with it, but a Phenom II X6 would be a much more worthwhile upgrade. The difference between three cores and four cores isn't that significan't and might not be worthwhile. Also be sure that something else isn't causing the bottleneck (like insufficient memory).

Old 01 January 2012   #5
Smile amd phenom upgrade

I would agree with Olson that amd phenom x6 would be worthy upgrade and esspecially amd phenom x6 1090t 3.2ghz as a matter a fact. This cpu renders very well as per charts.

Old 01 January 2012   #6
Is it a Phenom I or Phenom II chip?

If it's AM2+ you may not be able to support Phenom II x6 chips, but if you currently have a phenom I, then going to a Phenom II x4 will actually be quite a big upgrade.

Old 01 January 2012   #7
Originally Posted by DanielWray: Is it a Phenom I or Phenom II chip?

If it's AM2+ you may not be able to support Phenom II x6 chips, but if you currently have a phenom I, then going to a Phenom II x4 will actually be quite a big upgrade.

As long as the motherboard manufacturer has a BIOS update you can even put an AM3+ processor in an AM2 board from years ago. Though some of the functionality might be missing like the power management to disable cores when they are not in use.

Quote: As AM3 processors also support DDR2, they are backwards-compatible with Socket AM2/AM2+, contingent upon a BIOS update for the motherboard. Manufacturers including Asus,[6] Gigabyte,[7] and others have labeled existing AM2/AM2+ boards as being "AM3 Ready" or similar, indicating that BIOS support is provided for the specified boards. This allows existing AM2/AM2+ systems to upgrade the CPU without having to upgrade any other components.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM3#Compatibility

Old 02 February 2012   #8
If you want a snappy machine, I would strongly recommand you to get a 90$ mobo and a i7 cpu. Reason I say that is that last month I had a major virus on my good old i7 860 and I had to work for 2 weeks on my render machine, a Phenom x6 OC at 3.8ghz. I noticed a lot of lagging in everything except pure raytracing rendering. Even firefox and skype were slower. Quite frustrating really. Each Intel cores are way faster. I would really go Intel to get the best speed for the price.

Old 02 February 2012   #9
Originally Posted by earwax69: If you want a snappy machine, I would strongly recommand you to get a 90$ mobo and a i7 cpu. Reason I say that is that last month I had a major virus on my good old i7 860 and I had to work for 2 weeks on my render machine, a Phenom x6 OC at 3.8ghz. I noticed a lot of lagging in everything except pure raytracing rendering. Even firefox and skype were slower. Quite frustrating really. Each Intel cores are way faster. I would really go Intel to get the best speed for the price.

For ray tracing rendering the Phenom II X6 is significantly faster than the Core i7 860. For other tasks that don't utilize many threads the Core i7 860 would be faster.

Old 02 February 2012   #10
Not sure if your mobo will support the 1100T Phenom X6, but it's a great CPU. Nearly 20x faster than my home computer's Athlon X2 4600 @ 2.5GHz, and fully three times faster than my previous Phenom X4 @2.5GHz. Mine's clocked at 3.5GHz and the most stable workstation I've ever worked on. I do not experience any lag with Maya; perhaps Earwax's issues were related to the graphics card involved?

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 02 February 2012   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread