Unified Sampling

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
Unified Sampling

I'm trying to get a lot more out of the 'unified' sampling in Maya.

First image is Max.Vray, DMC, .85 on Adaptive,... Noise Thresh at .01, and looks quite nicer, but the render time is a little over an hr. (you can see it at the bottom of the image).

Second image is Maya at 11 minutes. Quality at 1, Final Gather Accuracy 500, Point Density 2, Point interpolation 20, Secondary Diffuse bounces at 2
Any suggestions?
If I can squeeze a bit more out of the Unified Sampler and with its much shorter render times, then its pretty amazing.

ok.. i'll have to upload links of images.. hang on....... ok.. fixed

Last edited by refract : 09 September 2013 at 02:02 AM.

09 September 2013
https://sites.google.com/site/johnployhar/environments

Adding hyperlinks etc.. isn't working properly. Just see the 2 images above from my website.

Last edited by refract : 09 September 2013 at 05:47 AM.

09 September 2013
Well, the vRay one looks like it's got AO turned on, or at least detail enhancement in IR Cache. The floor is also glossy while in the mental ray one it's mirror sharp. I'm not really sure that the comparison is fair.

09 September 2013
AO and Final Gather are on for the MRay one.
I'll adjust the material on the floor and repost.

09 September 2013
This post isn't a test between the two, by the way....
Its a question on the new "unified sampler" for Maya and how I can get better results on the new "Unified Sampler", in Maya 2014.
There seems to be very little on the web. We are using SAP at work on this. Thanks.

09 September 2013
No, not a comparison, surely. I'm just surprised at your excitement with unified sampling - since in my experience unified sampling is slower than the legacy mental ray sampling algorhythm.

So I'm just wondering if you're really comparing render times unbiased. You would inspire new trust in mental ray if you were.

09 September 2013
Well, the Unified Sampler seems to render the ocean scenes that come with maya quite fast. But.......I rendered an animation yesterday and got a lot of flickering, so I upped the settings (will take a look at it later tonight and the rendertimes)
Also, on the Max file, I had it set to Irradiance only, with no secondary bounce. And I know where detail enhancement is in Maya,.. but not in Max.. didn't see it.

... And if anyone knows of any decent Unified Sampler tutorials, let me know. I'm not seeing much.
thanks

09 September 2013
I think Bitter's website is a great place to look. He posts a lot here, and has helped lots of good folks with newer features of mental ray.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

09 September 2013
Ahhh yes,.. many links in there.. thanks bro. ..been using Vray for Maya since it came out, but our work discontinued it because its not what the outsourcing studio has,.... I know, I know.. don't say it :(

http://elementalray.wordpress.com/2...ified-sampling/

http://elementalray.wordpress.com/2...for-the-artist/

Last edited by refract : 09 September 2013 at 04:08 AM.

09 September 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread