US soldier version 2, with reference for free use. must give credit though.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2012
just focus on making the most accurate high poly version and normal map it to a low poly version. The next five years in videogaming is all improvement in dynamic particles, interactive dynamic particles etc. (look at udk4)
So really nothing to worry about for 3d artists.

07 July 2012
update on the rifle,

07 July 2012
heres an update on the rifle time to start ggiving critique and leavin me comments

07 July 2012
Not a bad start on the rifle now, possibly the barrell is too smooth in some areas. Do a google search for M4 outer barrell and you should get some very decent reference shots to work from.

07 July 2012
hey yeah ill fixed that with a chamfer, haha.

07 July 2012
You going with a standard birdcage flash hider?

07 July 2012
numptus yes, i believe so, if thats the one on my gun then yes. seems to be the standard muzzle that im modeling.

07 July 2012
heres an update on the rifle

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by Numptus1: I'm not sure what era soldier you are making but the vest you have in your 'reference' hasn't been issued in over twenty years,
Exaggerated "just a bit." I've been out of the Marines for about 8 years, after only one enlistement, and was issued one of these from the first command I reported to.

Originally Posted by Numptus1: In all honesty if you're going to attempt something you really should do as much research as possible and not just pull things out of the air or indeed make assumptions based on five year old information.

Really? Was all of that necessary? Regardless, it's ironic considering my reply to the first quote.

Originally Posted by Numptus1: I can argue with you all day long and your dad if you like about what camo is issued where and to who, I research this for a living and have advised several military companies on future camo patterns and there application.

I hope this claim is solely directed at what camo is issued where and to who.

@OP - The shape of the helmet is a bit off.

Last edited by bipolarmadman : 07 July 2012 at 08:45 PM.

07 July 2012
thanks for the reply and the helmet is based off of the older helmet not the mich or new ones.

08 August 2012
heres more progress on the m4 carbine.
comments appreciated.

08 August 2012
heres an update on work on the basic details of the left side.

08 August 2012
heres an update on the rifle, about to begin modeling the high poly version, well use this gun model and model the high poly and then extrract my maps to the low poly which is this version. this will be the default m4 rifle.

08 August 2012
Nice work on the rifle. Keep it up.

As for the character, I suggest dropping to the lowest mesh level & block out the shape, go next level, add more details, until you its limit, then go next level, repeat. That's how I do for my character models anyway.

I have seen people go to high detail levels & sculpted from there, using clay build up brush, smooth & something like that, but that's only if you have a very strong foundation of the face shape.

08 August 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread