Eon (Illustration) Entry: Nazirull Safry Paijo

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2007
Yep...the challenge is not finished....i think im sending this over for Expose 5 consideration. Few adjustments...I think i have to repaint the paratroopers and give it some SSS...I'll try my best with the characters...

02 February 2007
Expose 5

Very cool! I've been away for a while and lost track of what was going on with your work!

I take it that you were contacted by Ballistic also sense you mentioned Expose 5. Are you worried about sending something to be published without getting full releases? When I read the Challenge instructions, I vertage about publishing for commerical use which worries me. I've sent an email to CGSociety to try to get a feel for this, but have not heard back yet. What is your take?

Again, great work!
"Doubt is not a pleasant state, but certainty is a ridiculous one" -Voltaire

02 February 2007
Ed - Thanks for dropping by again n again!

Im not too worried abt that stuff....from what i understand the art belongs to me, as long as i attach together with its description, 'inspired by greg bear's Eon', I would come out ok......or would i?

Here is another take on the paratroopers....trying to clean out stuff...post-challenge thing..

02 February 2007
Better Paratroopers

I like the more defined Paratroopers in the foreground. Really helps the viewer understand what is happening, even if they haven't read the book!

Yah, you may want to take a look a the "Instructions" again. At the very bottom there is a statement that reads, "As a derivate work you can not use your work in any commercial manner without gaining written permission from Greg Bear." I worry about this clause even with everything else that is said about us owning the work. I don't have a problem asking for the permission, I just want to make sure that all bases are covered.

BTW - I'm still waiting for a response back from CGSociety on this. Would you have an Idea on how to send the questions to? I just sent it to their general question email.
"Doubt is not a pleasant state, but certainty is a ridiculous one" -Voltaire

02 February 2007
Originally Posted by EdTheRenderman: I like the more defined Paratroopers in the foreground. Really helps the viewer understand what is happening, even if they haven't read the book!

Yah, you may want to take a look a the "Instructions" again. At the very bottom there is a statement that reads, "As a derivate work you can not use your work in any commercial manner without gaining written permission from Greg Bear." I worry about this clause even with everything else that is said about us owning the work. I don't have a problem asking for the permission, I just want to make sure that all bases are covered.

BTW - I'm still waiting for a response back from CGSociety on this. Would you have an Idea on how to send the questions to? I just sent it to their general question email.

Yeah i know that clause...i dont have prob asking permisssions....although i know that i own the work....its strange i know.

im gonna check that thread again later...

Thanks for dropping by...i hope i can show u more detail soon!

EDIT: Well, ive read the entire FAQ thread, most enquiries about the copyright thing went unanswered. I guess im just stuck. 50% of my art is mine and another 50% is Greg bear's. Even if the art doesnt give a closes hint of it being insipred by Eon, we entered the 'Eon challenge' and by entering mean we agreed to all the terms.

Like u said Ed, the first paragraph of the clause says one thing, and the next paragraph says the total opposite. That explains the participant figures in the challenge this time.

Its useless now. Just learn an important lesson.
Now how can i contact Greg?

Last edited by Nazirull : 02 February 2007 at 04:38 PM.

02 February 2007
I wouldn't worry about submitting for ExposŤ.

We are allowed to use the Eon pieces for personal promotion, and *that* is what ExposŤ does.
BTW Ballistic Media has the rights of first print for the challenges' entries so giving them (through Ballistic Publishing) the right to accept or decline will 'free' the piece for other submissions, IMHO (similar publications, Spectrum or so).

Given that Ballistic was born from the CGSociety and the two cooperate closely I really can't see Ballistic proposing us to do something against the rules.

02 February 2007
Thats a good take on this whole copyright fiasco.

Regardless, I already email Greg abt it...just to be safe. I hope he will reply or else im not sending, unless some CGS veteran come and convince me to do otherwise.

Thanks for dropping in Thaldir!

02 February 2007
Some updates...i think the main building has to be detailed out...too much flat edges...not so good for composition...

02 February 2007
Good updates!

And you're welcome.

02 February 2007
Time to end it...Im finally stuck with this... i dont want to touch it anymore ...it had become worse everytime i do. Ok ..im waiting for Greg's reply/permission...and submit this for Expose 5 consideration...

Thanks all...

Last edited by Nazirull : 02 February 2007 at 07:24 AM.

02 February 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread