silo 2 will come with splines?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2005
silo 2 will come with splines?

"T-Splines are a new surface formulation initially introduced in the Siggraph papers sessions in 2003 and 2004. T-Splines are a superset of NURBS and SubDs, and can convert losslessly from either, as well as polymeshes. T-Splines also allow T-Junctions, which allow you to terminate isoparms/edgeloops in a T, without creating 'n-gons'. That is, the surface still shades and deforms like a quad, without needing extra geometry."

Well this tool it seem great(well i think 900$ a plugin ,it too much money).

It will have silo 2 any kind of tool to create splines??(i think some like the topology brush (you can draw lines and press enter ....and you have a spline)) it would be great.(....yes its wonderfull to dream)

Roy.

pd: a tool to create a basic form(with splines) to begin a model , and then to can modify with the polygonals tool.edges.vertices......FANTASTIC,how a said a splinelogy brush

08 August 2005
I think one thing that's holding back the developers from implementing curves and curved-based polysurfaces is that users will almost always want the resulting polysurface to be driven by the (construction) curves/splines. This means that if you lay down your curves and generate the polysurface, users would like to be able to change the shape of the curves and the resulting polysurface shape should follow suit. When the user 'freezes' the polysurface, it turns into a regular mesh and you loose the ability to use the original construction curves to alter it's shape.

A drawback to this method would probably be the inability to perform other operations (e.g. bevel, boolean, split edge, etc) on the polysurface until it is 'frozen'. I'm pretty sure that eventually, users will ask for an XSI-type history to overcome this limitation and this is what's giving them pause.

Plus, it is a complex bit of code they have to support.

BUT if users are willing to live with that 'limitation', it could pave the way for a different way of modeling within Silo. Imagine if you could just draw your construction curves and let Silo auto-patch them- part of the technology is already there with the Topology Brush. You could even probably dial-up/down the polysurface's subd level before 'freezing' it.

I would, however, like something like 3DS Max's implementation of Bezier curves over plain splines or evern NURBS (you don't really need NURBS precision if you're converting them to polygon meshes in the end).

Last edited by AmbiDextrose : 08 August 2005 at 08:13 AM.

08 August 2005
Or, maybe something in the likes of curved surfaces in Shade. True, they are somewhat bizzarre at first, but you can get some really outstanding things with them.

08 August 2005
Oh, yes. Shade is actually an excellent modeler if you can get past the unorthodox interface and workflow. Actually, it's quite big in Japan (it's country of origin) and most (Japanese) fan-made Gundam/mecha 3D models out there are made with either Shade3D or Lightwave.

08 August 2005
I think that Hexagon is probably the best way to get both working together. You generate and alter poly models with curves, you can then go on to bevel and what not whilst still altering the curves through the dynamic geometry panel.

08 August 2005
I do own Hexagon. It's good but it still has a lot of workflow issues so I don't use it much. Hopefully, that will change soon because a lot of guys on the new Beta test team are asking for the same (workflow and tool) changes I am.

Thread Closed share thread