need materials and lighting. lighiting advice please

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
need materials and lighting. lighiting advice please

05 May 2013
You need to use something called Vray studio
you can search for it on youtube
You need to learn how to produce quality renders
You can google it

05 May 2013
My advice? In this case, I would either add some random geometry to give the watch a scene to reflect, or use an environment map.

As for materials: If I'm aiming for photorealism, I personally like to load up bump maps for every material slot and add noise [both standard and fractal/turbulence] in order to better simulate imperfections.

For example, in the case of the rubber, I would load up a glosiness map to better simulate 'smudging' on the surface, and perhaps a light blurred noise map. For the stainless steel, I would make a reflection colour map where you can paint the bristles of brushing the steel [if that's what you're aiming for]. If you're just aiming for perfectly glossy, though, I'd skip that and just add a very light fractal noise map for the reflection colour.

05 May 2013
You might wanna try a higher render setting (not sure what renderer your using) The other thing is that if there is nothing to reflect it will look like what you have now. Reflector lights for giving that little touch of highlight (or even try and HDRI environment). Do a google search on watches and you can see the reflectors in the highlights of the images. Also maybe working a little on your composition. After you adjust your new lighting and composition you'll see if your materials need more adjusting.

05 May 2013
your model seems to be perfect, if you are using vray, you need to make an HDRI reflection environment then things will change a lot, plus try to increase your render resolution then we can see more pixel in the image.
My Facebook Page

05 May 2013
How would you make a photorealistic rubber texture if you have to use mental ray? i've tried an arch & design rubber texture but cant seem to get the right settings. What would you say is best?

Many Thanks for all your help.

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread