Getting a job overseas

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Getting a job overseas

To be short, how to get a job to work overseas? My plan is to move to Canada.
Before that, i will attend a school, that it is 3 years. After that, i am planning to get some experience, but where i live, we have only TV animation. So my experience will be for commercials, and i want in game animation or movie, but my goal is game animation,

How much experience do i need? It is hard to get sponsored, if i don't have experience in game animation?

04 April 2013
It'll be pretty much impossible to get sponsored without experience, unless your work is at an absolute superstar level. And I've only met one or two people at that level in my entire career.

A more realistic approach for you would be to get some experience in your own country for a few years. Or, since Slovenia is in the EU, you could try getting experience in an EU country with a decent industry, if Slovenia doesn't really have one. But that's always a risky move, as you'd most likely end up moving to a relatively expensive city like London to try to find work, which is a gamble.

04 April 2013
Stick to the EU as leigh said. Experience in commercials will help you. It wont be exactly the same kind of work, but it's not like you'll be using difference software - most of the skills you learn will transfer over.

You will not get sponsored without production experience. I waited until I had 5 years, but 2-3 might do it.
This is still 5-6 years away from now remember - I'd recommend worrying about that closer to the time.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by leigh: It'll be pretty much impossible to get sponsored without experience, unless your work is at an absolute superstar level. And I've only met one or two people at that level in my entire career.

A more realistic approach for you would be to get some experience in your own country for a few years. Or, since Slovenia is in the EU, you could try getting experience in an EU country with a decent industry, if Slovenia doesn't really have one. But that's always a risky move, as you'd most likely end up moving to a relatively expensive city like London to try to find work, which is a gamble.

Thanks leigh, you always seems to give best advice here

How much experience do you think i need it,before i apply? I am planning to get at least 7-8 years of experience in commercials animation here.

04 April 2013
I'm sure that'd be enough! I got my first job offer from a studio abroad after only 3 or 4 years of working myself.

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread