UCF reviews?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2009
UCF reviews?

Hi everyone, my name is Katie. I'm new here but have lurked before. I am interested in going into the 3d field for videogames. Even if my drawing is not really great, I am taking classes now.

My question is, a lot of people go to full sail, however I don't have the money and am instead taking the course for UCF, and most likely attending their grad program (can't remember the name off the top of my head) will I still succeed in the industry? My sister tells me that in order to succeed I need lots of experience and internships.

Right now my only skill is photoshop.

Any advice a seasoned 3d modeller can give me? Reviews? Tips? >_< Something?!

Thank you!!

01 January 2010
Hi Katie,

I went to Full Sail and UCF, but I went to UCF for business so can't speak about the 3d end.
I've been in the industry for a bit now, and I have advised my friends interested in 3d to go to a school like UCF (any university) to get a more well-rounded education. One obvious reason is IF you don't make it (not saying you won't) then you a good solid base to move on with. UCF seems to have a solid 3d program now, and that program they started with EA supposedly has a high sucess rate. UCF is a good school..definitely a big school, but you get other parts of the college experience you won't get at Full Sail.

Either program you should work as hard as possible, and with either program don't just take what they give you. Try and do any tutorials, practice in your free time, just always try to go beyond the work given. At Full Sail, a bunch of my classmates and I were watching every Gnomon video we could, doing every tutorial we could find, just go go go.

Also, as an aspiring modeler, I'm wondering if there are any other areas of 3d that interest you? If possible, try and expose yourself to as much as possible. Though I say that being someone who is very specialized (cloth/hair lol)..just something to think about.

Good luck! Any questions, give a shout.

01 January 2010
I have thought of doing something more like pixar but would really like to do be in the video game industry. Thank you for the information and I plan to work hard.

01 January 2010
With enough work and effort you will end up with a good education at UCF. That being said, you need to do some more research on the industry in order to fully benefit from your education. Every student I have ever seen says "I want to work in games" or "I want to work at Pixar" and most usually don't have a clue what that means. If you learn what skills, technologies, and workflows you will need in either industry you will get more value out of your time in any classroom.

01 January 2010
Hey Katie,

I'm currently a junior digital media major at UCF so I'll give you some insight as to how I see things. Within the digital media major there is a Visual Language track which is a 2 year 3d animation program. To get in to the program, there is an application process with a portfolio review and interview and they accept around 35 students. It is really nice having the ability to attend such a program at a major state university. A lot of vfx schools don't come with an actual degree, which is definitely a problem, so it is a good thing that you will have a real degree from a very large and accredited university. The only downside to this is you have to go though a lot more general education than an art school or tech school, which is kind of a waste of time, but it comes with the territory.

Overall the program is a pretty cool oportunity. The first two years of my undergrad when I was not in the Visual Language program I felt unchallenged and I wanted more from my classes, but now my curriculum is certainly very demanding and fast paced as there is a ton to fit into a 2 year program. Since there are only around 35 students each year, you get to know your peers very well, and work with them extensively which makes for good connections later on in your career.

In terms of finding a job in the film industry right after your undergrad is completed, it is definitely difficult as UCF doesn't have the connections with a lot of major studios like the bigger art schools, but there are some that do. What you get out of the program is largely due to how much you put in and how much of your time you dedicate to it.

The graduate program you are thinking of is called FIEA and it is for the gaming industry. Their facilities are in the same building as my program and from the tour that they gave us it is quite nice. Large personal workspace for all students, 24/7 access to the building, largest (I think) motion capture studio on the east coast, and from what I understand they have a pretty high placement rate in the industry with good connections. If games are what you want to do I think FIEA is a great program from what I heard, and very rigorous. If you have any other questions let me know.

edit: Also, keep working on your drawing skills. The drawing fundamentals classes offered at UCF are quite good from my experience and are pretty challenging. I wasn't good at drawing at all when I started either, but drawing I and II certainly help a lot and the skills you'll learn will be very useful in any art career.

Last edited by WeezTheJuice : 01 January 2010 at 09:56 PM.

01 January 2010
Thanks for the advice. I was planning on trying to get an internship in my free time.. would that count?

01 January 2010
Internships in the field you wish to pursue would be great, but they are quite competitive and require portfolio submissions. Definitely try to get an internship, but don't be surprised if you find that you need a few more years to get your skills up to the level that they expect, depending on what kind of internship you're after really.

01 January 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread