scroll work (i.e. Fleur de lis)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2013   #1
scroll work (i.e. Fleur de lis)

I've been doing simple cast iron scroll work for a while. Bent rods curled into simple shapes.
I'd like to move to the next level up on this and do some floral scrolls where the leaves are similar in design to the leaves of a cast iron fleur de lis.

Where I'm running into trouble is when a scroll pattern branches. The center ridge always gives me a lot of trouble, even though I've seen examples of the structure in both standard polygon and subpatched modes. It's not that I'm not capable of understanding it, I'm just trying to understand the planning phase.

I'm looking, basically, for advice on planning the polygon flow/direction for such designs. Some floral scrolls get very elaborate, and there are design processes for making them out of wood and metal, so I figure there are processes that people use for making them out of polygons as well.

If anyone has personal experience they can relate on this, or links to tutorials that relate, I'd love to hear about it. I seem to run into a lot of issues with the branches where different leaves/petals shoot off the main scroll, and it would be nice to know how others get around these issues.

Old 12 December 2013   #2
The big trick when doing scroll work is to not worry about topology, at least at first. Just add as many overlapping parts are you need. Then, if you need to, go into ZBrush, boolean everything together, and retopologize.

Old 12 December 2013   #3
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread