Does anybody use Gunnars glasses here?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #16
Has anybody that is automatically dismissing these ever even tried them? I won't buy them, especially for creating content. But I have put a pair on, and I can say it does do something, it isn't like gun range yellow tinted safety glasses. I am not saying they scientifically work, but it isn't just blind bashing as snake oils and placebos. There is definitely a comfortable feeling.

Old 12 December 2012   #17
Perhaps I'd be more convinced to spend 150$ (local price) if it had more scientific research than make-up words.

And while were on the subject, you might want to pick up the Valkee http://www2.valkee.com/uk/ or the Interaxon Muse http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UQX_lERd40

Old 12 December 2012   #18
For what it's worth my coworker has the clear lenses, and after using them all day he was satisfied. It's only one day so it's a small sample size, but placebo or not he was happy. When I put them on they definitely did do something, my eyes felt a little more relaxed, but they were strained when looking at things far away, so they definitely do something. It feels like they scaled up the screen but moved it further away from my face, most comfortable was about 2.5 ft away from the screen. He often gets headaches and didn't have one yesterday, but again it's only one day. I don't know that I'd pay $100 bucks for them, since I don't get headaches or anything usually but it may be worth a little more investigating for those who do.

Old 12 December 2012   #19
f.lux

I've been using f.lux for some months now and I don't want to miss it anymore. Depending on your location and your time it reduces the blue tones that keep you awake and thus improves your biological rhythm. (So this is no tool for nightworkers who have to be kept awake by their room lights or monitors.)

At first you might say it doesn't feel right when the monitor colours turn into a more orangy tone, but after one or two days you really feel, that your eyes hurt less and it's easier for you to fall asleep. (Setting the transition speed to slow you won't even notice the colour shift.)

And there's a simple button that let's you disable it temporary to see the correct colours (at nighttime – because as long as the sun hasn't set, the f.lux is not shifting any colours.)

Old 12 December 2012   #20
I have a pair of these and I find they work well. They stop my eyes from drying out and prevent the minor head aches I would occasionally get after long periods of time staring at a bunch of screens. Granted, that's the only reason I was willing to drop that 80 dollars. If you aren't spending hours upon hours in front of a computer then I doubt they are worth it.

They have been around long before the Call of Duty gimmick, but their advertisement is still pretty over the top. Still, if you think about it most high end products (especially in eye wear) use extravagant words and improvised acronyms to make them more appealing.

Personally I'd like to see some test results as far as just how effective Gunnars really are, but they have had a positive effect for me none the less. So I don't regret spending the money. I would like to try out the "crystaline" lenses though.

Old 12 December 2012   #21
If you want your screen yellow change the color temperature in the monitor's menu.

There I just saved everybody $300.

Old 12 December 2012   #22
I use Redshift on Linux. Its pretty much the same thing as f.lux.

http://jonls.dk/redshift/

I don't know if the color shift helps much, but having the brightness down at night helps. I looked at the Gunnars website last week through this thread, and I got hit with a bunch of webads from them after. AdBlockerPlus to the rescue.

-AJ

Old 12 December 2012   #23
I have a concept in mind, i'm making these things called "faster fingers", you put them on and they look similar to leg warmers so obviously they're a fashion statement, but they will make it possible to hit hot keys .74389 seconds faster. They will sell for the low low price of 15.99 and will come in all sorts of colors. Buy 9 get the 10th free!!!

Old 12 December 2012   #24
I'ld have to try them out to see if they're any good, I've been looking for a decent pair of single vision lens for computer use. my optometrist prescribed progressive lens to me a couple years ago, and i still have not got use to them, they're freakin' nauseating...

the yellow tint, and UV protection is a must for outdoors.. i purchased a pair of Nike prescription sunglasses and love them.

http://www.nikevision.com/products/...557/#EV0557_066

Old 12 December 2012   #25
I never heard of them, but after reading the website for a few minutes I conclude that this is a snake oil product.

claims:

Minimizes Eye Fatigue - Reduces visual stress and dry eyes

Enhances detail for sharper, clearer vision

DIAMIX lens material is optically pure, ensuring the clearest image by eliminating distortion and haze caused by impurities.

Bull shit. It's like, sometimes I meet a photographer newbie who believes that an UV filter in front of the lens improves the image quality.

The website seems to be targeted at ******* who are easily impressed by fancy graphics. It looks like a "mission impossible" movie, with no actual technical information to be found.

GUNNAR’S patent-pending i-AMP lens technology is the result of intensive study and research on the human optical system and its interaction with digital devices at specific distances and in specific light. Based on optometric principles developed over years, and fused with the most recent scientific advances from the GUNNAR tech labs, i-AMP lens technology works with and enhances the properties of the human eye. Comprised of a proprietary lens material in an advanced geometry and finished with custom tints and coatings, i-AMP lens technology increases visual performance when interacting with any digital screen.

If you like snake oil, here is another funny product for you:

http://www.valkee.com

Improve your brain by channeling light through the ear, lol.

Old 12 December 2012   #26
Originally Posted by plastic: If you like snake oil, here is another funny product for you:

Thanks for that, made my morning.
Off to find some matches....

Old 12 December 2012   #27
Originally Posted by plastic: If you like snake oil, here is another funny product for you:

All that's left is to put on one of those magnetic bracelets that all golf and running athletes seem to be using and you're all set to look like a foo... err I mean dominate the universe.

Old 12 December 2012   #28
how many of you guys actually wear glasses?

you know they do sell glasses specifically for computer use... its' that vision range were normal distance and reading glasses fall short on capability.

if any of you get old enough to need progressive lenses.. don't do it. they suck!.. you'll feel like a bobble head doll all day long.

Old 12 December 2012   #29
These would be pretty awesome to wear :

Old 12 December 2012   #30
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread