Cost of Living and the CG artist:Tell us your opinion.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #76
Originally Posted by Zykras: Come to Belgium and try trappist beer

You're preaching to the choir. I love Brussels, especially Delirium Cafe, heh. I'm rather notorious for my unquenching love of Belgian beer, actually - I'm really into my Chouffe Houblon (my absolute favourite beer in the world), Troubadour Magma, Maredsous, Kwak and others, and am frequently found pouring them into my gullet at Lowlander in London. My favourite Trappist beer is Westmalle Tripel. As far as I am concerned, the Belgians make the best beer in the world, followed by the Germans. Mmmm, I want one now.

Old 09 September 2012   #77
Originally Posted by conbom: I used to live in Berlin, its great in the summer especially the lakes in west berlin. Don't be fooled though the winters are long, dark and very, very grey especially if you live in wedding or somewhere cheap, actually its the greyest place I ever lived, the people are very nice and chilled out plus the ice skating opens in the winter, its awesome when it snows too. The rent is insanely good value. I think its ranked as one of the best places to live for quality of life in the world and I would certainly agree with that.

Considering winter is my favourite season and I love cold weather, that wouldn't really be an issue actually. My dream is to live in Lapland, so go figure.

Old 09 September 2012   #78
I love the San Francisco Bay Area. It's paradise !

Old 09 September 2012   #79
Originally Posted by cookepuss: One last thing and I'll let y'all duke it out on the cost of living issue. I simply love that Nebraska VS New York comparison. The disparity makes me laugh & cry at the same time. I had to check out what housing would look like and what you could get for your buying dollar. For about $250k...

In Brooklyn: http://cdn1.static-homes.com/cgi-bi...mage/1476377370
In Nebraska: http://cdn5.static-homes.com/cgi-bi...mage/1564034169

Okay, so maybe I aimed too low for the price. How about $400k?

In Brooklyn: http://cdn5.static-homes.com/cgi-bi...mage/1595128459
In Nebraska: http://cdn4.static-homes.com/cgi-bi...mage/1474463426

Talk about bang for the buck.

You don't even need to compare such different places to see that kind of contrast. My wife and I recently bought a house in Lincoln, California (about half hour drive north of Sacramento), and the same house in the Bay Area would cost at least 4X more. Of course, there are no industry jobs in that part of California, but since I work at home, it's fine.

Originally Posted by chalbers: I love the San Francisco Bay Area. It's paradise !

I grew up in the Bay Area, and it really is one of the nicest places on earth in terms of weather, unless you enjoy hot and cold weather. If you like mild weather, there are very few places on earth that's better than the Bay Area. We can't afford the Bay Area anymore so we moved further up north. The summer is much hotter just a couple hours north of Bay Area (average 20 degrees hotter than the Bay Area, and up to 100~110 degrees on hottest days).

Some people think the Bay Area weather is too mild and there aren't enough differences between the seasons. Some people like to have hot summers and cold winters, to feel like they are getting the "full experience" of being alive. I can sort of relate to that. When I lived in Malaysia, there's only summer all-year round, and it's a very odd experience to have sweaty Christmas and New Years.

Last edited by Lunatique : 09 September 2012 at 04:36 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #80
This thread has been quite a fantastic read so far, what I am wondering is cg work doesn't push for more at home work? it would resolve the cost of living issue and give much more flexibility. Would it be recommended to seek work on location when starting out or if possible to find freelance and side projects from home?

Old 09 September 2012   #81
Originally Posted by Andrewty07: This thread has been quite a fantastic read so far, what I am wondering is cg work doesn't push for more at home work? it would resolve the cost of living issue and give much more flexibility. Would it be recommended to seek work on location when starting out or if possible to find freelance and side projects from home?

Many parts of a big studio pipeline will never work remotely. In fact, an ideal pipeline promotes collaboration and speed for maximum output, which goes against a remote workflow.

When you add to this the problems of copyright and handling of assets responsibly you get into a legal predicament as well. Data sizes are also growing...
I'm not sure there will come a day where a compositor will handle a 4K shot in his Fiji home office, while his supervisor is in LA...it's just not efficient enough for managing 100+ compositors. Same goes for most other departments.

Some companies have made this work by collaborating with multiple studios around the globe through fiber, but even then, we are talking about multiple studios with multiple collaborative departments of production, supervision, etc per studio. This is a far cry from a single guy in the middle of nowhere working where housing is cheap.

Concept design, graphic design, rendering and previz could probably go remote (and HAS to some degree), but it's not as efficient as being on location.

Maybe some day where we interact through holograms like the jetsons...or tupac...

Old 09 September 2012   #82
Many parts of a big studio pipeline will never work remotely. In fact, an ideal pipeline promotes collaboration and speed for maximum output, which goes against a remote workflow.

When you add to this the problems of copyright and handling of assets responsibly you get into a legal predicament as well. Data sizes are also growing...
I'm not sure there will come a day where a compositor will handle a 4K shot in his Fiji home office, while his supervisor is in LA...it's just not efficient enough for managing 100+ compositors. Same goes for most other departments.

Some companies have made this work by collaborating with multiple studios around the globe through fiber, but even then, we are talking about multiple studios with multiple collaborative departments of production, supervision, etc per studio. This is a far cry from a single guy in the middle of nowhere working where housing is cheap.

Concept design, graphic design, rendering and previz could probably go remote (and HAS to some degree), but it's not as efficient as being on location.

Maybe some day where we interact through holograms like the jetsons...or tupac...

I work for a very large IT consulting firm and we often work from home 1-2 days a week and it really takes the edge off what is quite a stressful job and commute. Confidentiality is a non-issue as working on site is hardly secure if you were determined, the security comes from the staff being trustworthy. Face to face collaboration is important but actually not required 5 days a week every week, as many highly profitable companies can attest. Actually non stop face to face collaboration will waste a ton time and burn out staff.

What I like about my company is they actually trust us and don't adopt an old school master and servant management style. At the end of the day we are all adults collaborating here, if you don't do any work while at home it will show. If it gets done on time, your staff are happy, and your company makes good profits what's the issue?

Old 09 September 2012   #83
Maybe I am just a bit optimistic but I could see in the future a studio functioning remotely assuming bandwidth can handle it. The security of projects and files could maybe be protected by having work done on a cloud like accessing a computer remotely. The artists and employees wouldn't have actual access to the files outside the studios control.

Old 09 September 2012   #84
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread