Poser/DAZ/People in Motion/iClone, what are people using?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

3 Weeks Ago
Poser/DAZ/People in Motion/iClone, what are people using?

I occasionally have a fast turnaround job and just don't have time to model characters, so was wondering what people are using these days for quick people in scenes.
I'm particularly interested in pose-able characters, I know that there are a number of companies that sell scanned people etc, but I need to be able to pose them.

(There was another recent thread where this was mentioned as an aside, but I didn't want to hijack it.)
I haven't used Poser in ages, so haven't kept up with it, but have used Daz Studio.
Although the characters from Daz come across into C4D pretty well, Daz uses reversed transparency from what C4D uses, and too much time is spent reversing these maps.

I recently checked out iClone, and it looks sort of promising. But once you get all the "sub-modules" you'd probably need, the cost goes way up.

I don't do much animation, just need to quickly pose characters and get them into C4D.
Architectural: Archiluma

3 Weeks Ago
Reversing alphas and transparencies doesn't seem to be that time consuming if you ask me. Are you sure it is worth investing in a whole new app and its microtransactions just to save a ten minutes of reversing a few alphas?

3 Weeks Ago
Depending on the shot type (close up, medium or wide shot, static or mocap ) I use a combination of DAZ, Iclone and Anima 2 (from Axyz design).

- Iclone is ok as a cheaper motion builder replacement to edit mocap or do previz, but you need the 3D exchange pipeline module for it to be of any use with outside apps. It comes bundled with Character creator, which is decent. It also can use DAZ content (with 3Dexchange module). Adding mocap and face tracking can indeed make it pricey, but other alternatives are much more expensive.

- Daz has great models for close up shots, but unless you want to shoot a half-naked warrior space goddess, I find the actually "casual" clothing a bit lacking for my day to day needs. (I bought marvelous designer to try an make my own clothing as a consequence). Fixing the alpha of eyelashes or similar is trivial...

- Anima 2 is great value for money to do crowd shots, audiences etc... and it comes with a library of scanned and rigged characters that work well also for medium shots. You can use the C4D plugin or export FBX models out of it.

3 Weeks Ago
Hi  I agree with all that EricM has said.
use Iclone Pro  for motion creation and use the 3D exchange
application to retarget the motion to DAZ Characters
to be rendered in C4D.
Forget about poser , it is dead and likely has no future.
If you do not do animation you only need Daz studio
to export it high quality genesis rigs out as FBX to C4D

Like EricM, I find most of the stock Daz clothing content
,sold in their store, useless for my needs.
However if you have modeling skills there is no need to invest in Marvelous designer
IMHO
You can just model the clothing ,of your preferred style, around a base daz figure
import to DAZ studio and Daz studio  can auto rig it to conform to the character with three mouse
clicks and will have any  shape changing body morphs added automaticly
Here are a few of my custom clothing models on Daz genesis figures.

3 Weeks Ago
I used to use Daz a bit, but if you want really quick poseable people (and you happen to have an Adobe CC account) you should download Adobe Fuse.
You can create a custom clothed ( a decent amount of options) male or female in under 5 minutes, send the model to Mixamo (which Adobe now owns) to have it automatically fully rigged, and then download an fbx that either has a poseable character or one of Mixamo's mocaps applied to it.

Although sometimes you get the reverse alpha issue, there are usually only about 3-4 textures attached to your model that you need to deal with.

Adobe FuseMixamo

MacOS Sierra (MBPRMid2012) / Windows 10, C4DR18, VRAY 1.9, XP3.5, Adobe CC 2017

3 Weeks Ago
Thanks for the replies.

You guys are right, it's not all that big a deal to change the transparency on the materials (actually I think the problem is that the transparency map from Daz is supposed to go in the opacity map of C4D, but gets sent to the transparency channel instead.) It's just annoying with multiple characters in a scene. I wish there was a script you could run that would move the transparency channel to the opacity channel on all selected objects! 8)

I think for now I'll probably stick with Daz. It looks like it would be a minimum of $400.00 to get the basics I would need in iClone, actually $600.00 if you want the better "Pipeline" version of 3DXchange. If I find myself doing a lot more with characters in the future, I will check it out again. I did like the demo, and I like that it supports substances that can be edited on the fly.

I will be taking a look at Anima 2 and Adobe Fuse, thanks for the suggestions.

3 Weeks Ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUylqtF7IwI

Gets interesting at 7:20, where he import all the morph target from Genesis.

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Cybergooch: I wish there was a script you could run that would move the transparency channel to the opacity channel on all selected objects!
Lenart wrote this python script for me which moves textures from the Luminance channel to the Color channel.  Should be easy to adapt to do what you need.

# LumTexToColor tcastudios.com©2012
# Luminance Channel Bitmap To ColorChannel
# for Selected or all materials if no material selected

import c4d
from c4d import gui

def main():
    mat = doc.GetActiveMaterials() if doc.GetActiveMaterials() else doc.GetMaterials()
    if len(mat) == 0: return

for i, m in enumerate(mat):
        try:
            lumtex = m[c4d.MATERIAL_LUMINANCE_SHADER][c4d.BITMAPSHADER_FILENAME]
            m[c4d.MATERIAL_USE_COLOR]     = True

colt = c4d.BaseList2D(c4d.Xbitmap)
            colt[c4d.BITMAPSHADER_FILENAME] = lumtex
            m.InsertShader(colt)
            m[c4d.MATERIAL_COLOR_SHADER]  = colt

m[c4d.MATERIAL_USE_LUMINANCE] = False

m.Message(c4d.MSG_UPDATE)

except:
            pass

c4d.EventAdd()

if __name__=='__main__':
    main()

3 Weeks Ago
Hi Eric,

I don't know if it was my recent thread you were referring to?

I agree with the others here, that Poser is null and void now. Daz Studio does a fine job, and there are an enormous amount of content options, although, as someone else pointed out, there is a real lack of 'standard' real world casual clothing. You'll probably find enough essentials, but the options for variation, will be limited.

I've been working with Genesis 3 figures for the last couple of months, and specifically their 3D Universe 'Toon Generations' characters for a corporate training project - some stills and some animation/lip sync, and I have been exporting the figures along with their various control morphs via FBX. These work great in Cinema 4D, coming in with a fully weighted rig, and all of the morph targets you'll need to pose and emote your characters.

In addition, I have been using People In Motion with these characters, to make posing even easier (instant and easy IK and controller creation), as well as animating walk cycles etc.

I wouldn't personally invest too much beyond these for your character needs, as I think the Daz Studio is probably still the highest quality platform for high quality human figures.
Anima is also great (if you are on a PC) for crowds and arch-vis btw, but the character quality is only really good for medium and long distance renders in my experience.
It's hard to beat a good scanned figure from Renderpeople for static pose use, but they also do some rigged options also!

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by jazzmik: Lenart wrote this python script for me which moves textures from the Luminance channel to the Color channel.  Should be easy to adapt to do what you need.

Oof! Thanks Mik, that's unfortunately out of my league. Hopefully somebody that knows what they're doing could convert that, but I wouldn't know where to start.
(I suck at programming/scripting)

3 Weeks Ago
Hey Adam, thanks for the info. Yes, it was the recent Greebler thread that got me thinking about this.

Do you know if there's much of a difference between the Genesis 3 and the newer Genesis 8 characters?

I'll check out Renderpeople too.

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Cybergooch: Hey Adam, thanks for the info. Yes, it was the recent Greebler thread that got me thinking about this.

Do you know if there's much of a difference between the Genesis 3 and the newer Genesis 8 characters?

I must confess, I only noticed the Genesis 8 characters when I was stocking up on Genesis 3 elements for my current project, so I can't say I can tell you anything.
If you are using PIM though, that doesn't currently support these figures, but does G1to3.

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Cybergooch: Hey Adam, thanks for the info. Yes, it was the recent Greebler thread that got me thinking about this.

Hi
the only difference between Daz G3 and Daz G8 is that the  default pose
for the rig is an "A" pose with arms down at about 30 degrees
and the foot stance is wider.

This makes it easer for making clothing that deforms/conforms better around
the traditionally problematic shoulder and crotch areas.

Not certain how this change might affect auto rigging plugins like PIM
but indeed it does break all compatibility with the few existing animated motions/Daz aniblocks etc
for G3. 

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by ThreeDDude: However if you have modeling skills there is no need to invest in Marvelous designer
IMHO

That would depend on how complex the clothes are. You not only need good modelling skills, but good sculpting skills with a understanding of the fold types for realistic drapery, this takes much time and does not account for cloth physics solving. If you want hyper realistic clothes there is no substitute for Marvellous Designer.  If you did still wish to use your own modeled clothes Marvellous Designer can simulate the cloth animation for you very fast without the intersection issues.

Dan

2 Weeks Ago
Indeed marvelous Designer is a great purpose built solution for clothing
dynamics if one plans to do alot of animation with draping simulations
but assuming one has already spent over $3000 USD on C4D
and are using the free Daz studio just fot its high quality figures there
are economic considerations 
https://www.marvelousdesigner.com/product/pricing
I spent Zero on Daz studio but paid about $50 USD for the optional
Dynamic cloth system in DS which gets me a decent results
with my own Cloths modeled and imported from C4D
and the cloth sim is Exportable from Daz studio back to C4D via obj/ MDD