Geometry Glitch - Visibility offset from Verts/Faces

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Geometry Glitch - Visibility offset from Verts/Faces

Hi all,

I have a wierd glitch that I'm not sure how to correct. Basically, when I view the model in perspective view, it looks fine. When I go into orthographic view, I get strange visibility problems almost as if the normals are inverted. Flipping normals doesn't correct the problem. When I enter sub-object face mode and turn on show normals, the normals appear offset from the visible model. I'm not sure what's going on. Here's an image of the normal offset. If anyone knows what the problem is and how to fix it, I'd greatly appreciate the help. Thanks. -- John

Last edited by ja4161 : 09 September 2012 at 04:04 AM.

09 September 2012
Have you tried putting an xForm modifier on your object, and then collapsing it down to an edit poly or mesh?

09 September 2012
I did Xform it from the tools menu and collapsed the stack. Also tried adding a Normal modifier and unify normals. Nothing seems to work thus far.

09 September 2012
Will you loose any vital data / modifier stack if you export as an obj / fbx and then bring it back into max?

09 September 2012
Not sure what the problem was. It appears that it was an issue with the file itself. The problem persisted even when I created primatives in the same file. I exported the .obj and reset Max. When I imported the object into a new scene it seemed to work fine. Odd but I'm glad it's fixed for now.

09 September 2012
Just in case you haven't installed service packs and product updates and are using max 2012 or 2013 together with Nitrous display: install them, they're supposed to fix exactly those issues, at least with max 2012.

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread