Contours: Changing line width by distance from camera automatically?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Arrow Contours: Changing line width by distance from camera automatically?

Hey, guys. I have a question about CONTOURS.

I want to highlight border of objects using MentalRay's contours. I've already worked with PFX-Toons, but since they don't render in MentalRay, I want to use contours.

Here's the problem: When you're working with PFX-Toons, if the camera get far from the object, the line width will get lower. But when you're using contours instead of that, the line width doesn't change by camera distance.

Hmm, I might be able to solve the problem using scripts, but:
1. I'm not professional in scripting, so it will take a long time to script it.
2. Many objects are going use contours, so if I use scripts, I have to copy the script and change the names in that, for all of Materials & Objects & Cameras.

So, my lazily toke me here to ask. Is there any way to do that automatically or by an easier way than scripting?

(Sorry if my English sucks!)

Old 11 November 2012   #2
just use the "contour_shader_combi" , this one has everything combined .

------------
an other idea would be , to create a renderlayer - and "override" the renderer to "mayaSoftware" on this second renderLayer - and overide also your material to a white surfaceShader , then you can later "multiply" the PFX layer in comp
you also might want to render in a double-so-high-resolution , on the mayaSoftware RenderLayer , to avaoid , at least a little bit of the flickering , which occurs on the PXF-contours .

Last edited by tonytouch : 11 November 2012 at 10:42 AM.

Old 11 November 2012   #3
Worked, thank you.

Of course, firstly it didn't work, but this page helped me. (I wrote this for the users that may come in future.)

This link:
http://forum.mentalimages.com/showt...with-depth-cues

Old 11 November 2012   #4
yeah , that is it ....#

now instead of the "_depthfade" you can also use the "_combi"-contour-shader .... and with that you also have some other possibilities , like adding a sceneLight to your contour ( which makes them thinner , on one side ( looks a bit nicer in my eyes ) .

another thing , you might want to know , when dealing with tranparent materials ( in order to see the contours also on objects , which are behind the transparent ones ) : increase the "Max-Level" to 3 or more within your "contour_contrast_function_levels"-Node , in order to raytrace through your transparent objects

Old 11 November 2012   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread