Old 02-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #16
gagex2z
PRO
portfolio
gagex2z
Tampa, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredTaylor
Ok so maybe your method didn't work. In theory it did, but once I bind it to the skeleton it does... this:

That's a cylinder replacing the leg just to show it bound. Maybe I'm missing something really obvious here, it's possible, but it looks like it's only the knee being affected meaning anything weighted to the hip or ankle isn't going to function correctly.

That looks like a wieghting issue to me. The joint seems to be behaving correctly. The geometry isn't following the joint direction at all. It looks liek you're weighted to a different set of joints than you want.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:39 PM   #17
JaredTaylor
Technical Artist

portfolio
Jared Taylor
Wellington, New%2BZealand

There isn't a weighting issue. The leg functions perfectly in every aspect except pinning, I'll upload the scene.

I know they're weighted to the correct joints. It's just that the hip and ankle aren't actually doing anything, only the knee is, so only anything that's weighted to the knee will move.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8mhxbpatz.../legPinning.zip

Old 02-27-2013, 12:20 AM   #18
Pahuska
Veteran

portfolio
FERRACHAT Guillaume
Maya Rigging/Scripting
Valence, France

The geometry perfectly follows the joint orientation, It's not about skin weights. It's about rotations/translations. With a normal leg, you'd need to rotate the hip & the knee joint. This method actually translates the knee joint to the locator, nothing is rotated, and that is why your limbs is straight.

The red joint is what you have, the yellow one is what you should have. Look at the axis :

Last edited by Pahuska : 02-27-2013 at 12:28 AM.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:36 AM   #19
JaredTaylor
Technical Artist

portfolio
Jared Taylor

Yes I know that, I need help finding a solution rather than an explanation that I'm familiar with

Edit; that wasn't meant to sound rude, but I'm aware of the issue just trying to get a hand with how I solve either this setup or my initial setup.

Last edited by JaredTaylor : 02-27-2013 at 12:42 AM.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:43 AM   #20
Pahuska
Veteran

portfolio
FERRACHAT Guillaume
Maya Rigging/Scripting
Valence, France

I was just trying to explain to gagex2z why it is not a weigthing issue and why the joint aren't oriented correctly. I don't have a real solution to help you right now, just some ideas that need more thinking, and thinking at 1.40am is not easy ^^; but sleeping helps finding solutions, I don't give up ^^

Old 02-27-2013, 01:07 AM   #21
JaredTaylor
Technical Artist

portfolio
Jared Taylor

I've even tried using aim constraints Desperate...

I was up past that time last night, thinking sure aint easy for me right now either lol

Old 02-27-2013, 02:28 AM   #22
gagex2z
PRO
portfolio
gagex2z
Tampa, USA

Quote:
I've even tried using aim constraints Desperate...

I was up past that time last night, thinking sure aint easy for me right now either lol

I fixed it using aim constraints. I'm making a video for you. Thanks for pointing out the issue. You're absolutely right. thanks for catching that.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:29 AM   #23
JaredTaylor
Technical Artist

portfolio
Jared Taylor

Awesome I must have messed up the constraints somewhere, but my heads really not in it today.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:34 AM   #24
gagex2z
PRO
portfolio
gagex2z
Tampa, USA

Quote:
Awesome I must have messed up the constraints somewhere, but my heads really not in it today.

naw, aim constraints are EVIL.. They take either a mathematician at understanding quaternian math or a lot of trial and error randomly putting in 1 and -1 in every field you can think of. Personally I use a bit of both methods as I slightly understand the basis of up vector and world up positions but I usually still end up spamming combinations of "1 and -1 apply" until it looks right.

http://youtu.be/AjaxRv1l6Q0

Last edited by gagex2z : 02-27-2013 at 02:42 AM.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #25
Pahuska
Veteran

portfolio
FERRACHAT Guillaume
Maya Rigging/Scripting
Valence, France

Aren't there any flipping issue with the aim constraint ? For example, if the knee pin is on but the hip/knee/foot are perfectly aligned, or if the knee is behind (like a reverse knee)

Old 02-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #26
gagex2z
PRO
portfolio
gagex2z
Tampa, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahuska
Aren't there any flipping issue with the aim constraint ? For example, if the knee pin is on but the hip/knee/foot are perfectly aligned, or if the knee is behind (like a reverse knee)

I just tested both situations. The first situation the hip ankle and knee all being perfectly aligned does cause some strange behavior, however this is true for all pole vector setups. Also, I have not yet seen a situation where I would need to have the three bones aligned up perfectly. The most it would do is bend all the way until the calf hits the thigh. this behavior works in normal and pinned mode.

The knee break thing with the pole vector dragging behind the leg while pinned works fine with no twisting.

Thanks for the input and ideas for a test. Let me know if you find anything that pops up as a problem. The method is still experimental.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #27
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread