Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 12-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #16
c4d-jack
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Frank Willeke
Senior Developer
Berlin, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to c4d-jack Send a message via AIM to c4d-jack Send a message via Yahoo to c4d-jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfon5168
Oooooooh. This is great. Any chance on a python port of some of the code? I struggle piecing together what exactly is going on in C++. But thank you anyway, as this is quite a good chunk of information.

If I have some time after New Year's Eve, I might add some Python code, too. But as far as I know (I didn't check it yet), Python does not support the SNHook class, so the will not be Python code for everything.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:16 AM   #17
hsrdelic
Game, set and mesh

portfolio
Hrvoje
Split, Croatia

Awesome blog - went directly in bookmarks minute I heard for it
Hope you guys will refresh it on regular basis.

Cheers

Old 12-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #18
xfon5168
Jack of All Trades
Bret Bays
Character TD
USA

Send a message via AIM to xfon5168
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4d-jack
If I have some time after New Year's Eve, I might add some Python code, too. But as far as I know (I didn't check it yet), Python does not support the SNHook class, so the will not be Python code for everything.

Yeah. But the license file checking classes and stuf would be useful. And maybe it would make mAxon inclined to add snhook to python.
Either way thanks for the post

Old 12-29-2012, 05:42 AM   #19
C.Smith
Know-it-All

Chris Smith
Santa Monica, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfon5168
Yeah. But the license file checking classes and stuf would be useful. And maybe it would make mAxon inclined to add snhook to python.
Either way thanks for the post

Just make sure Rath wraps the rest of the NodeData methods first Been nagging him for those.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #20
Scott Ayers
Kaiju Creator
Scott Ayers
USA

Just want to pop in here amidst all the python posts and say that I hope you guys continue, and become a bit more active with the C++ stuff.

Nothing against Python. I like Python just fine. And I use it often.
But it's really hard (almost impossible) to find C++ code for C4D. Which is why I try to post as many free C++ based plugins with the source code as I can.
We need to have more C++ code floating around in the C4D community. It's a weak spot.
So I'm looking forward to you guys posting more often.

-ScottA

Old 12-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #21
C.Smith
Know-it-All

Chris Smith
Santa Monica, USA

Scott, I watched your videos on C++. Great stuff. I've been debating the last couple years about converting my WIP plugs to C++ because of things missing from Python like SceneHook (Chris Montesano turned me onto it as that's how ZBlur and the like draw it's widgets) and the other 2 main NodeData methods that would allow me to use very interactive guides when specific parameters are being changed. But I haven't coded C++ since the early 90's. But your vids ALMOST talked me into switching over

We'll see how frustrated I get with banging on the ceiling of what Python can do long enough to make it worth, going back to remember the curious ways of the C++. Thanks for your videos and code though.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #22
Scott Ayers
Kaiju Creator
Scott Ayers
USA

Thanks Chris,
I haven't had as many views of the videos as I had hoped. So I kind of gave up doing them.
I guess there's not a huge interest in people learning C++ for C4D. Or maybe my tutorials just suck.
It's nice to know at least someone got some use out of them.

-ScottA

Old 12-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #23
C.Smith
Know-it-All

Chris Smith
Santa Monica, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Ayers
Thanks Chris,
I haven't had as many views of the videos as I had hoped. So I kind of gave up doing them.
I guess there's not a huge interest in people learning C++ for C4D. Or maybe my tutorials just suck.
It's nice to know at least someone got some use out of them.

-ScottA

Well, I DO think it's VERY niche. You have a fraction of the 3D market wanting to use C4D, you have a fraction that wants to do anything code or expression related, a fraction of them that want to use more than Xpresso, a very small fraction of them that want more than Python. Like if you put together everyone on the planet who is seriously interested in C++ for C4D I bet it would be enough people for a small house party.

But I could be wrong.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #24
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting Lead
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

Agreed, I'm a prime example, a very advanced C4D user, and I hit the wall at the python tutorials, I've no interest on pushing into C++ because for me at that point, I'm developing and not creating. If a tool I'd like to have needs to go to that level of development then I'd be best contacting someone and offering to pay for such a tool.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #25
bellaLugosi
Frequenter
Daniel Schild
Germany

Hey there,
the page is great, i already picked up a couple ideas from there for my projects!

so thanks for doing that ;-)

cheers,
Daniel

Old 01-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #26
c4d-jack
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Frank Willeke
Senior Developer
Berlin, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to c4d-jack Send a message via AIM to c4d-jack Send a message via Yahoo to c4d-jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaLugosi
the page is great, i already picked up a couple ideas from there for my projects!

so thanks for doing that ;-)

Happy to hear that you like it and make use of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsrdelic
Hope you guys will refresh it on regular basis.

There will definitely be more articles. Some are already in the making, but it takes time to write all that stuff. We can't work on it every day... we have to get some programming done too ;-)

Old 01-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #27
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread