Need some advice from VFX pros

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
Need some advice from VFX pros

After some years with 3ds Max doing some modeling and animation projects i decided to pursue a career in VFX. I have also some experience in Maya and have tried all 3d packages on the market (except Poser ) in search of one that "clicked" (i envy ppl who make up their minds about a software and dont have second thoughts about it every other day like me) so i could focus entirely on it.

Now i am trying to choose a path that can lead me to more chances of employability. I was thinking of staying with Max for modeling and animation and Houdini for VFX and improve my Python skills.

But my "3D ocd" keeps me thinking if Maya wouldn't be a safer chance since its on 90% of job ads and since Houdini is mostly used by the top studios if someone without experience in the industry could make it (im thinking about those "3/5 years minimum experience with software X ads")

So i'd be grateful if somebody with experience in the area could give me a nudge in the right direction Thank you!

11 November 2012
It will take you years to learn a software in a fairly complete way. It will take you a few weeks to completely make 90% of the transition to another once you know one.

Atleast as far as general 3d software goes. Cant speak for houdini so much.

11 November 2012
Rule Number 1.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by Artbot: Rule Number 1.

Sorry, but i wasn't asking which one is better or what should i use, i am trying to get some perspective from industry professionals based on factual job market reality, which could help my particular situation. Thank you for your input.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by Ethervoid: But my "3D ocd" keeps me thinking if Maya wouldn't be a safer chance since its on 90% of job ads and since Houdini is mostly used by the top studios if someone without experience in the industry could make it (im thinking about those "3/5 years minimum experience with software X ads")

Surely you already have your answer right there?

In 12 years of working in VFX studios around the world, I've never worked in one that used Max. I'm not saying it's not used at all, but rather that it is so rare that Maya would be the more logical choice for you, as it clearly has a broader scope for employment.

11 November 2012
Thank you

11 November 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread