MGAC - 42 - The future, circa 1950

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2007
Arrow MGAC - 42 - The future, circa 1950

Looks like it's that time again

This weeks category: The future, circa 1950.

This time we're looking for that retro future look from 1950's sci-fi. Daeleks, flying cars, computers the size of of SUVs, vaccuum tubes, nixie tubes... flashing lights.

Examples:
http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=12-070
http://www.computermuseum.li/Testpa...-FullView-B.htm

EDIT:
1950's Architecture was referred to as Googie.
here's a nice database of 1950's style as well as a quick glimpse into the FUTURE!
http://www.spaceagecity.com/googie/

Have fun with this one, you've got a pretty wide spectrum to work with.

Limits:

* Tri limit= 702 triangles (up to 702 triangles, you do not have to use all of them.)

* Texture limit= 4 x 512 split between diffuse, normal, opacity/alpha and specular
Use your textures any way you see fit, so long as there is only a maximum total of 4

Deadline:

UPDATE: NEW DEADLINE IS THUSDAY, JULY 5th

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by kromano : 07 July 2007 at 04:31 AM.

06 June 2007
Cool concept IŽll join in on this one, but it seems to me that concepts recently have all been very open, would be nice to have something more narrowed down soonish :P

06 June 2007
You know, I think you may have a point there... Maybe there are just too many ideas scaring people away.

06 June 2007
1950's ray gun? wetta has some good ref for that.

or 1950's alien robot?

that would narrow it down

06 June 2007
So in other words: Bioshock Theme.

06 June 2007
Originally Posted by theabyss: So in other words: Bioshock Theme.

I don't think I'd heard of Bioshock before now, but the website looks pretty cool. When I was thinking of examples, Fallout is one that came to mind most. Indeed it is a retro 50's take on what they felt the future would look like.

07 July 2007
Ok, here is my entry , and I decided to do an environment because I love doing it
I wanted to use somehow more curvy shapes (as retro sci-fi suggests), but poly limit is a serious issue Firstly, I thougth of a level where 700 tris would be visible in camera view (that would let me do some more curves), but eventually fiting all geometry into 700 tris seemed more challenging and interesting.

I got 702 tris (sorry, 2 more, I hope u will forgive me ). All textures, except for Sky/Space, have 16 color palette.
There are no other channels beside diffuse and opacity because the game that would need such geometry restrictions, unfortunately, could not dream about bumps for level textures (I quess actually this would fit DS).
Total image pixel space used in level take less than 512x512.
Lightning is done with manually assigned vertex colors.

I attached some images (in several posts), but since I did some animated textures in the level, you can download 2MB ziped video:(http://www.psychosphere.in/pics/vla..._SciFi_Vlad.zip)

Good luck everyone, ur works r comming out really cool I am eager to see them finished!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg level_01.jpg (80.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg level_01_02.jpg (83.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg level_01_03.jpg (96.4 KB, 29 views)

::my stuff

Last edited by Matroskin : 07 July 2007 at 11:45 PM.

06 June 2007
Originally Posted by kromano:
* Tri limit= 700 triangles (up to 700 triangles, you do not have to use all of them.)

If I want to do environment, should this tri limit be applicable to the whole setting (which will be rather challenging but still cool) or to camera view (e.g. up to 700 tris visible at once)? Or I can even do just the part for still camera shot that will contain those 700 tris?

::my stuff

06 June 2007
I did an environment for the last MGAC just over 700 tris... although the room was pretty empty. I won't complain if you focus on a section of an environment so that the area on screen is 700 tris.

CodeNothing, those sketches look so awesome. I really like number 4. It reminds me of something, but I don't remember what it was exactly.... it's one of those things, uhh...
*end communication*

Thread Closed share thread