Fluid Punk

portfolio
Vikas Chandel
FX TD
Montreal, Canada

Send a message via AIM to viki164 Send a message via Yahoo to viki164
Foam Bubbles with maya nparticles shading help needed

Hey folks,
I am trying to create foam bubbles here as a development task, If anyone had any success in getting the photo realistic shading or look & feel of the foam bubbles then please share. I will really appreciate your input & can contribute further here on the foam development.

I somehow manage to get the procedural texture with 2d fluid texture or say 2d fluidshape node here : https://vimeo.com/52678071

but it doesn't help much..i did try this with 3d fluid shape too with texture co-ordinates set to grid ..but the textures started floating & didn't go well with the sim. I am wondering If I could use these texture for mapping on nparticles but it seems little difficult to control it. Any ideas or hints ..will appreciate much ..thanks

what i am trying to achieve is this :

Thanks,
-Vik

Last edited by viki164 : 11-16-2012 at 07:20 AM.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
viki164
Fluid Punk

portfolio
Vikas Chandel
FX TD
Montreal, Canada

Quick_preview of 3d fluid foam textured ..looks ok in still but in motion it doesn't convince much:

later i tried to apply the 2d fluid foam texture on nparticle's (Blobby Surface) but ended up having a mapping issues of particle surface material :

I am sure i am doing something wrong here but at the moment it doesn't rings any bell to me. kind of need a push thanks again !!

-Vik

Old 11-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
merlino3d
Veteran
portfolio
Marco
3D Freelancer
Capital Federal, Argentina

Hi Vik, I'm not sure ... but maybe the "Boiling Water" example from Duncan can be useful. I've not tried yet but I think that if you use a 3d fluid texture as small foam and the big bubbles from the example as shaded bubbles that may result in something interesting.
I hope this could help!

EDIT: surly with a lot of tweaking from the original example ...

Last edited by merlino3d : 11-04-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
ytsejam1976
Maya Light Finder

portfolio
Dario Ortisi
3D modeler and render
Dallara Engineering at Simulator
Italy

Hi Vikas. You're always an inexhaustible source of inspiration
Have a look at this? Is for Lightwave
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxO9yYgg3Wk

I'll try to replicate with nParticles with two emitter and some fixed radius very little radius and some other with random radius. Mia_material for material with facing ratio and ramp on transparency slot.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
ytsejam1976
Maya Light Finder

portfolio
Dario Ortisi
3D modeler and render
Italy

I also try to replicate it: first emitter omny with low number of nparticles and a radius that similar to the shape of soap like second image you posted. After i convert the nparticles in mesh. Emit nparticles from mesh generated but the mesh i set inverted normal. So the still inside the mesh. The problem? Is maya able to manage this number of particles?

Old 11-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
viki164
Fluid Punk

portfolio
Vikas Chandel
FX TD
Montreal, Canada

hey ytsejam,
thanks for the great link..very informative indeed ..I am trying to replicate some of its texture info with noise texture here in maya.

as if now I think of two approaches here,The first is Non - dynamic & the second is dynamic way. I am not sure if I will succeed but I like to see how far i can push & get failed .

Non-dynamic for the static foams ..so one can model the desire shape & simply put the shader on it. I will post the noise texture soon here once I am happy with the result. Currently I am still experimenting with it & trying to feed the result of noise to the bump normals. I can email you my wip..send me a test email.

The dynamic way : Its kinda tricky because what we see often the big bubbles when they pops out..the other neighbor particle slips in to take its place but this doesn't happens very frequently..so at he moment I aint thinking of this part..I am playing with dynamic nconstraints on particles with random size radius & i think I might get little success.lets see..

Quote:
Emit nparticles from mesh generated but the mesh i set inverted normal. So the still inside the mesh. The problem? Is maya able to manage this number of particles?

sorry I dont clearly understood this problem, are u reversing the normals of the mesh generated from particles ? OR are you trying to render both particle & particle mesh together ?

Last edited by viki164 : 11-07-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
ytsejam1976
Maya Light Finder

portfolio
Dario Ortisi
3D modeler and render
Italy

I trying with this workflow.
1) Create nParticles for the aspect of your big foam shape
2) Convert nParticles to mesh
3) Inverted normal on Mesh generated from nParticles
4) Emit nParticles(new) from Mesh, and with inverted normal the emission is inward
5) Set intermediated Object on display option of nParticleMesh(by default it run as i ask, so intermediate oBject)
6) the nParticles emitted from mesh are the soap bubles with radiu very minus/Low and some other nParticles little big or some variation. The shader is importan for rendering. Have transparency but with IOR low= 1.2
I ins a B&W ramp with facing ratio on transparency slot and Color at distance set very low as White. But this is irrilevant the shader you want you create.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:53 AM   #8
viki164
Fluid Punk

portfolio
Vikas Chandel
FX TD
Montreal, Canada

little late to follow up with my own thread here.
thanks Ytsejam , as per this link : http://iaian7.com/lightwave/SoapFoamSurfacing

The information here is pretty neat & I am planing to mimic some of its shading network here. what I am trying is first to get this noise pattern working which is this one :

& what I have achieved so far is this :

I did few simple noise blending trick with the help of layer texture node with Maya's built in Noise (billow) texture. with the billow falloff I was able to get the sharp ring on the outside region & a linear fall of in the inside region but it wasnt giving me a good circular bump. So I changed the fall of to " fast" & it helped a bit to give a smooth spherical bump.

as one can see what i am doing here is blending two layer texture node to marry bigger circle & smaller circle together. Later I add some randomization to the size & brightness values of the spheres & what I am getting is this :

& what I am wondering is how to get bump normal ? like in this image :

any thoughts ? I am attaching a link for the two WIP scene files..please feel free to download & edit/tweak

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=693A557A1FFA67EC!147

Best,
- Vik

Last edited by viki164 : 11-16-2012 at 07:23 AM.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
viki164
Fluid Punk

portfolio
Vikas Chandel
FX TD
Montreal, Canada

is it possible to do shading based on particle density ?
like the one this video shows here https://vimeo.com/1618403#

Since its about particle shading, I have one more issue with Particle Mesh texture advection. I have turned on color per vertex, velcoity per vertex & UVW per vertex but still the results are not very promising..the Particle UVW texturing doesn't seems to advect properly with particles velocity..often looks floaty or doesn't catch up properly with particles speed.

Does anyone had any success with Particle mesh texturing ?

Last edited by viki164 : 11-19-2012 at 10:44 PM.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
apfxpunk
Veteran

portfolio
Apoorva
Fx Artist
Montreal, Canada

Hey Vik

Here is the scene file posted on cg society before.
Hope it help bro

thanks
Attached Files
File Type: zip brightnessByDistance.zip (8.4 KB, 103 views)

Old 11-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #11
viki164
Fluid Punk

portfolio
Vikas Chandel
FX TD
Montreal, Canada

thanks ap good find. It will help me for sure !

Old 11-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread