CGTalk > Main > News
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
DanielWray
Lord of the posts
 
DanielWray's Avatar
portfolio
Daniel Wray
Bsc Computer Animation & Digital SFX
United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,684
Mitsuba 0.4.0 released!

Hi,

Mitsuba 0.4.0 was released yesterday. It looks like a lot of work has gone into this update.

It's worth noting the documentation that Wenzel has put together looks incredibly good. (Bottom of the post, 36MB PDF.)

http://www.mitsuba-renderer.org/devblog/?p=473
__________________
I dabble...
 
Old 10-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
regeneration2005
Veteran
portfolio
sebastien feuillet
Paris, France
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 31
good to see progress of mitsuba,

some comment about it. when i read the feature i can just say i cant understand the whole thing. its too much technical, we are artist, not physician or mathematician. i dont care about the mlt method or bidirectional pt or another method, i just want my kitchen render well . i dont want too try all this method, i want you choose wich is best for us. a simple site with clear explanation, will make your renderer more popular.


by the way good work!
 
Old 10-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
hkrol
Frequenter
Henning Krol
Mainz, Germany
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by regeneration2005
good to see progress of mitsuba,

some comment about it. when i read the feature i can just say i cant understand the whole thing. its too much technical, we are artist, not physician or mathematician. i dont care about the mlt method or bidirectional pt or another method, i just want my kitchen render well . i dont want too try all this method, i want you choose wich is best for us. a simple site with clear explanation, will make your renderer more popular.


by the way good work!


"Mitsuba is a research-oriented rendering system (...)" (from the website)
__________________
Hofer+Krol
 
Old 10-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
eworc
Lord of the posts
portfolio
W.E. Crowe
Systems Analyst
USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 596
Nice, look forward to seeing the improvements.
 
Old 10-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
Als
Expert
portfolio
Aleksandar Stiglic
digital artist, 3D
United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,928


Well done, very very nice. Great documentation as well!
I know there is at least one program which did implement Mitsuba, but I can't remember which one it was.
Anyone?

Thanks


Als
__________________
"No Bucks, NO Buck Rogers!"

VFX rule no. 387
# Just redo it!

 
Old 10-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
TwinSnakes
3d Flunky
 
TwinSnakes's Avatar
Lutha Jenkins
USA
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 343
Blender has an exporter.....and there is one coming for Softimage as well.

But, any program that can export to OBJ or Collada is fine as well, materials and all.
 
Old 10-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
CHRiTTeR
On the run!
 
CHRiTTeR's Avatar
Chris
Graphic designer extraordinaire
Belgium
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSnakes
Blender has an exporter.....and there is one coming for Softimage as well.

But, any program that can export to OBJ or Collada is fine as well, materials and all.


But obj or collada cant export more advanced materials with sss, reflection/refractions, etc... right? How do you that?
 
Old 10-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
TwinSnakes
3d Flunky
 
TwinSnakes's Avatar
Lutha Jenkins
USA
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR
But obj or collada cant export more advanced materials with sss, reflection/refractions, etc... right? How do you that?


Mitsuba allows you to override materials by name. So all you do is, in your 3D program, give your objects a material, and name that material something, lets say "sss_mat".

Then you define a Mitsuba material and designate the Mitsuba material to replace all instances of "sss_mat" from you 3D file with this Mitsuba material you've defined.
 
Old 10-06-2012, 12:03 AM   #9
CHRiTTeR
On the run!
 
CHRiTTeR's Avatar
Chris
Graphic designer extraordinaire
Belgium
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSnakes
Mitsuba allows you to override materials by name. So all you do is, in your 3D program, give your objects a material, and name that material something, lets say "sss_mat".

Then you define a Mitsuba material and designate the Mitsuba material to replace all instances of "sss_mat" from you 3D file with this Mitsuba material you've defined.


Hey, thanks for pointing that out!

Maybe ill try this renderer later.
Is it fast? or is it just a proof of concept?
 
Old 10-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #10
bellsoffreedom
Frequenter
portfolio
Nick
USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 102
Great job so far! I look forward to the updates. I may have to work this into my box of tools
 
Old 10-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,066,478
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
__________________
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
 
Thread Closed share thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.