Working with scenes

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2005
Working with scenes

As I'm building bigger models than I used to, it would really help to be able to do the modelling in parts and combine those at the point when I need to render a final image. The only way I have found is to use another scene as a set (in render pane there is a button for it). Using two scenes in this way is a good start, but not enough. I'd like to be able to chain this functionality. I mean, to have my final scene and a set scene for that and a set scene for that etc.
It would have been too easy to work like that, and in deed it doesnt.
Is there any other way to accomplish this? I searched through blender3d.org:s manuals and took a quick glance at their tutorials as well, but didn't find any on the subject.
Help greatly appreciated once more.

06 June 2005
AFAIK you can have as many scenes as your computer RAM will hold, just activate the "do sequence" button for all them and combine/blend the scenes with the sequence editor.

But pal, seems like overkill using different scenes for the set, characters, lights, etc. when you could use the different layers of a single scene to do the same job.

06 June 2005
Scenes vs. layers

It is an alternative, but I like the approach of including scenes. That way I could build parts of a very complex model in different projects and combine them at final stages by constructing a scene out of other scenes.
A bit of explanation is required, I suppose. I am building a small town as a long term personal project. The style would be something semi-photorealistic, yet definitely with fantasy feel. It is going to be used ( if I ever get that far ) as illustration for a childrens book. At first I tought of building the different places as separate scenes I use when needed. But when I realized it is actually possible to import a scene in a scene, I have been toying with the idea of building a detailed and complete town. The resulting model would be enourmous, but if implementation of other scenes can be done flexibly enough, it should still be possible.
I plan on using vegetation quite a lot, and obviously the polycount will skyrocket with them.
If, for example I could build a topographic map of my town as roughly textured plane and build another scene(s) with all the vegetation added, it would be easy to navigate through the town and when the right camera angle and lightning in place include all the veggies as a final step before rendering.
And yes, I know this is a form of insanity. =)
I just want to see if its doable, and if its doable by me.
Will post a wip of the railwaystation of the town a bit later. Working on the vegetation of the scene now.

06 June 2005
well, im not very experienced but it sounds to me as if your gonna want to do some photoshop compositing. mainly becuase rendering out a city with that many polys would take forever (even more so with GI) i mean, if you have the resources, then yeah but... i guess i dont know how ur rendering this, but why not just stick them in different layers... render them seperatly, and then just combine them in photoshop (or other random program). you can still fake alot of GI (or just ray shadows) that way and i'd bet you anything that it would be faster than rendering it all in just one go. (unless you have urself a render farm lol)

anyways just an idea, like i said... im not very experienced.

cheers m8!

ray

06 June 2005
Ok, now I see. Scenes are not the best method, there are better ways: Use file linking

Create your topography in one .blend, your houses in another .blend, the vegetation in another, and so for.

Create yet another .blend (let's call it "the rendereable one") and as you go completing parts of the town, link those parts to the rendereable one by using File -> Append and letting the "Linked" option on.

That way everything is stored separately, when you update any part the "renderable" .blend will be also updated (on reload) and everthing is keept on an human manageable size.

06 June 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread