Silo for game character modeling

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

07 July 2014
Silo for game character modeling

I have read Antony Ward's book on Game Character Development 2008 , and 3D modeling in Silo. I have also watched his informative videos from 3D world etc.

I find his techniques could be applied to any software besides Silo, I know he uses Maya too. But what I have trouble with is character modeling in Silo

I want to create a human(realistic) character in Silo. I followed Antony Ward's tutorials, but it takes a while to get to the end. I find it hard to remember and wanted to see if there is a faster and easier way to create a human character(male and female)?

I mean has anyone mastered Antony's techniques and come up with their own tutorials that cut to the chase without doing a hundred things to create a realistic human character?

Last edited by NormalNutcase : 07 July 2014 at 03:25 PM.

07 July 2014
Can't you use one of the custom models supplied with Silo and modify/sculpt it to what you want?

Last edited by oldone : 07 July 2014 at 06:50 AM.

07 July 2014
The problem is that sculpting slows my computer BIG time! I have Sculptris, and my computer works good when I sculpt with it. Unfortunately it crashes every minute and has too many bugs and it appears that Pixelogic isn't updating it anymore?

Silo V2.2 and V2.3 have the same issue, Major Slow down! Nevercenter needs to fix the sculpting issue. I wanted to have a subdivided model to use for ambient occlusion maps. That is what Antony Ward has done in his tutorials.

I just noticed that now Silo 2.3 has a female base model too. Well, I can try to make the base model's like the topology on AW's models, but I need more practice. I rather see someone else's technique to save me a lot of time figuring it out myself.

Also, I have been looking over the newest game character development free tutorial, by Antony Ward. It is an updated tutorial on Kila. It is on CGTuts.com

I noticed he Shows the main parts of creating the model, but doesn't do it step by step. I am going to try to figure out what he did. But if you show it step by step or someone else, that would be great!

Last edited by NormalNutcase : 07 July 2014 at 09:42 PM.

07 July 2014
Quote: I just noticed that now Silo 2.3 has a female base model too.

It does?
I can't seem to find it, it doesn't show up under <Create><Custom Primitives>

BTW what are your system specs?

Last edited by oldone : 07 July 2014 at 06:33 AM.

07 July 2014
Maybe it isn't in the Windows version. I have a 2008 iMac 2.8GHZ, Mac OSX 10.9, 4 GB ram, ATI HD 2600 Pro 256 MB, and currently working off an external SSD drive. I know my graphic card sucks! I plan to buy a new computer, probably and iMac, when I save up my pennies.

07 July 2014
Originally Posted by NormalNutcase: The problem is that sculpting slows my computer BIG time! I have Sculptris, and my computer works good when I sculpt with it. Unfortunately it crashes every minute and has too many bugs and it appears that Pixelogic isn't updating it anymore?

Blender is not for everybody, but newer versions have sculpting tools and features that have surpassed what was possible with Sculptris, IMHO.

Quote: Silo V2.2 and V2.3 have the same issue, Major Slow down! Nevercenter needs to fix the sculpting issue. I wanted to have a subdivided model to use for ambient occlusion maps. That is what Antony Ward has done in his tutorials.

As much as I'd like Silo to do everything I need it to, I found other tools were far better suited for sculpting than Silo.

Quote: I just noticed that now Silo 2.3 has a female base model too. Well, I can try to make the base model's like the topology on AW's models, but I need more practice. I rather see someone else's technique to save me a lot of time figuring it out myself.

Awesome, I'll have to check it out. Silo never had a basemesh female before, at least on Mac. For that matter, regardless of what I put in the Custom Primitives directory, it would never show up in the menu (MAC OSX BUG).

Quote: Also, I have been looking over the newest game character development free tutorial, by Antony Ward. It is an updated tutorial on Kila. It is on CGTuts.com

I'll check that out too. AW was always pretty good with this tutes.

There are tons of free resources out there (3D Total, Blendercookie, etc.) that tell you how to poly model stuff. Usually the tutorials will be in 3DS Max or Maya, but once you get familiar with Silo you can apply all the same techniques. Haha, I did the Joan of Arc tutorial on 3DTotal entirely in Silo. It's a great way to learn the whole process and it's very step by step.

LH

07 July 2014
I tried sculpting in Blender and I get the same slow down issue. Until I get a new computer, I have to find software that doesn't use too much of my computer resources. Sculptris, and even Zbrush I could get some detail, but not too much before the compute slows down.

I have to say, I hate Blender. I have seen people create really impressive 3d models, but the interface, YUCK! It has definitely gotten better in the recent build, and I like software that doesn't make me think too much about how to do things. Blender is counter intuitive. There are too many menus, commands etc and it is hard to remember. I find it very clunky.

Following Antony Ward's tutorials, he uses Silo, Maya, Photoshop, and sometimes 3D Coat. I like Maya and Silo's interface.

The reason AW uses Maya in his tutorials, is because Silo doesn't create UV maps as well, Doesn't have Ambient Occlusion Map generator, just Normal and Displacement map generator. Also, he uses Maya for animation, because Silo isn't meant to use for Animation. Silo should have Bones to adjust the models though.

07 July 2014
Originally Posted by NormalNutcase: I tried sculpting in Blender and I get the same slow down issue. Until I get a new computer, I have to find software that doesn't use too much of my computer resources. Sculptris, and even Zbrush I could get some detail, but not too much before the compute slows down.

I have to say, I hate Blender. I have seen people create really impressive 3d models, but the interface, YUCK! It has definitely gotten better in the recent build, and I like software that doesn't make me think too much about how to do things. Blender is counter intuitive. There are too many menus, commands etc and it is hard to remember. I find it very clunky.

Following Antony Ward's tutorials, he uses Silo, Maya, Photoshop, and sometimes 3D Coat. I like Maya and Silo's interface.

The reason AW uses Maya in his tutorials, is because Silo doesn't create UV maps as well, Doesn't have Ambient Occlusion Map generator, just Normal and Displacement map generator. Also, he uses Maya for animation, because Silo isn't meant to use for Animation. Silo should have Bones to adjust the models though.

I've taken this all under advisement.

07 July 2014
Originally Posted by NormalNutcase:

I'd say Maya, Max and Blender are all very difficult interfaces; people just get good at them over time. IMHO, only Silo and Cinema4D seemed to have interfaces that were easy for beginners.

Quote: The reason AW uses Maya in his tutorials, is because Silo doesn't create UV maps as well, Doesn't have Ambient Occlusion Map generator, just Normal and Displacement map generator. Also, he uses Maya for animation, because Silo isn't meant to use for Animation. Silo should have Bones to adjust the models though.

Silo is simple and great for modeling which is why I like it. I use other software for rigging, UVs and the various maps.

LH

07 July 2014
Well, I would like Silo to have the things I wrote about, but I know it would't be as advanced as the other software. And I didn't mean bones for rigging, but posing and testing how a character deforms when it is bent.

It would be nice if I was able to complete most of the character so it would just need to be rigged and animated. I am not saying that Silo would replace the more advanced software, but it would create a good game character without needing the extra software.

Because Silo isn't free, I would just like to get more bang for my buck.

Last edited by NormalNutcase : 07 July 2014 at 12:00 AM.

reply share thread