Icarus MFA Thesis Film

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
Hey all, here are more updates! I am continuing to work on the first pass animation of all the shots. I have also been doing a first lighting pass. This week I finished laying out the UVs for the bird, and just put temporary blocks of color as textures. In the animatic below you can see my first light test with the bird in the first shot. Jeff has also been doing some background painting, and he is working on the textures for the boy.

Here is Jeff's first pass background for shots four and five.

Jeff did a first pass texture on the boy, I rendered out two shots of the boy textured. Also in the video below are shots four and five rendered with the background (minus the bird, I haven't rendered him yet in these shots).

Here is the animatic so far.

11 November 2012
Hi Jesse,

I think your project is looking awesome. That shot where he jumps up from the little cliff and flaps his arms -- I think you should continue his trajectory forward after the leap (through enertia). I do understand your style to exaggerate (hence the hang time when he jumps, which I think is fine) but him stopping in mid air, seems to throw me off. Just my 2 cents. Everything else is turning out wonderfully!

01 January 2013
Hi Narntson, thanks for the feedback, that's a great point. In my most recent updates, I continued the trajectory forward more. I actually plan to move it forward a bit more even, you can see that part of the animation still needs a lot of work.

Below is a link to where the film is at so far.

01 January 2013
The progress is looking great, out of curiosity how are you going to animate the ink being drawn on the paper? I suppose you could do it with something like after effects later or a separate animated plane for the paper.

01 January 2013
Looking real nice, the timing is all good.

01 January 2013
Hi Andrewty07 and iikii, thanks for the kind words.

I have not decided exactly how I will do the ink on the paper. One idea I had would be to make a separate geometry plane sitting on the paper plane, with the ink texture on it. Then I could animate the UVs so the ink is revealed on the plane as the pen goes over it. Another option would be to render out the shot with the whole ink line visible, and also render out the shot with the ink not visible. The an After Effects I could have the no line render above the line render, and mask the no line render as the pen moves to reveal the line underneath.

03 March 2013
Hey all, sorry for the long gap in posting, Iíve been busy. Here is an update of where the film is at right now. I am currently working all at once on polishing animation, modeling and texturing some props, adding new backgrounds, lighting, and rendering.

Below are some of the new background paintings Jeff has done for the film recently.

The painting below is an updated version of the first background that was ever painted. This new version is reworked to fit more with the style of the backgrounds as they have evolved a bit.

Here is a render of the flying machine model built and textured by Jason Young. This is the low res model, it will be smoothed when it is put into the film.

07 July 2013
Hey all, sorry it's been such a long time without any updates. I finished school, and the film is all done now!! It was quite a long slog at the end, but I got it all finished. I also had help from an extremely talented team. I can't post the film online yet though, because it is still going through the festival circuit. It played at the Animation Block Party festival this past weekend in Brooklyn NY.

Below are some screenshots of the final film.

07 July 2013
Congrats! Cant wait to see it

07 July 2013
Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing it when u post it.

07 July 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread