Blender books for beginners?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

07 July 2014
Blender books for beginners?

Hey everybody

Can anyone recommend a good book for Blender tutorials in regards to character creation and/or animation? The purpose for this book is to help me create my own character and objects for a game I am working on in unity 3d.

I would like to purchase a hard copy of the book since I will be travelling soon and will be a stuck in a train created in the 1920s for 4 days

So far I found these 2 books with good reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/04...s2&tag=ps023-20

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...s2&tag=ps023-20

The downside is that these books were published in 2011..Has anyone read these books?

Are they completely outdated and useless?

Please let me know of any books for beginners that can assist me with getting started.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon

Aris

07 July 2014
Hi I'm a long-time Blender user, the books you've linked too I've not read sorry to say since I lean towards short online tutorials in reference to self-taught avenues. However as to the question of validity in terms of up-to-date reference materiel would probably be dependant on the user's familiarity with the app which I have to say can be at times a steep learning curve for those new to CG art workflows.

For game development in Unity I'd recommend the [Blender 2.6xx] 2012 published Game Character Creation with Blender and Unity By Chris Totten, an in depth 10 chapter pipeline from modelling a character, UVW prep, textures, rigging, animation through to implementing gameplay elements...etc, also the project source files can be found here, overall not too grindy a read plus in my honest opinion a helpful beginner/intermediate level game creation resource.

Cheers ;)

07 July 2014
Sakboi ! thanks a lot man , will definitely look into that one!

reply share thread