doubt

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

03 March 2014
The end result is a 2D image...
3D isn't really 3D when displayed on a screen, it's 2D.

Beside there is more than just object to take into account. Composition also has a role. If you just copy someone else material and are just slapping a coat of 3D effects on it, then you don't really produce anyting new.

But if you use, for exemple, many different photograph of cities, buildings, mountains and trees and do a brand new original composition with them, then yes you've created something unique. I recommend this youtube channel for great composition exemple.

But to just lift someone else comp and just do a 3D rendition of it is a big no no for me.

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by Tuxon86: The end result is a 2D image...
3D isn't really 3D when displayed on a screen, it's 2D.

Beside there is more than just object to take into account. Composition also has a role. If you just copy someone else material and are just slapping a coat of 3D effects on it, then you don't really produce anyting new.

But if you use, for exemple, many different photograph of cities, buildings, mountains and trees and do a brand new original composition with them, then yes you've created something unique. I recommend this youtube channel for great composition exemple.

But to just lift someone else comp and just do a 3D rendition of it is a big no no for me.

Yes 3D is just an image when you watch it on the screen.
This is more than a excuse than a valid argument.

When the technology advances we will have holograms which will be able to represent an object in 3D.
When that comes,I could claim that the 2D image I am watching is actually 3D because I can see it from side view if I bend the paper.

I was refering to this sort of images http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/4339/72328164lp0.jpg

I wont claim that I drew some character or invented it if I didnt.
But I will claim that I did model it.

It's like saying that even if I did put great effort to precisely model something from some guy image that effort is nothing compared to that guy work.
If the same rule aplies for great works,why then people dont do that the same with some crappier things as well.

Why is it okay to draw flower or some building and noone will say anything about it being his property...but if it's something that people think is great then noone can draw the same thing.

Anyways...this is a complicating area.
It is the same pair of shoes as when someone wants to make a game about some anime which had some games done by nintendo,sony....

03 March 2014
Well the work that you put in does matter, but it doesn't remove the fact that you did copy. This isn't just in the graphical world. Take music for exemple. George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" doesn't at first glance sound anything like The Chiffon's "He's So Fine" yet he lost in court because he did use a couple of guitar riff without permissioon.

I see what you're trying to say, but you can't split the medium (image) from the composition (artistic viewpoint, technique, originality). If you lift an image verbatim and just make a 3D rendition of it, you aren't really bringing someting new and unique. You can't call the end result your own. If you do it for your own self as a teaching aide and aren't planning to publish it, then that's fine, but don't publish it as an original piece.

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by Tuxon86: Well the work that you put in does matter, but it doesn't remove the fact that you did copy. This isn't just in the graphical world. Take music for exemple. George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" doesn't at first glance sound anything like The Chiffon's "He's So Fine" yet he lost in court because he did use a couple of guitar riff without permissioon.

I see what you're trying to say, but you can't split the medium (image) from the composition (artistic viewpoint, technique, originality). If you lift an image verbatim and just make a 3D rendition of it, you aren't really bringing someting new and unique. You can't call the end result your own. If you do it for your own self as a teaching aide and aren't planning to publish it, then that's fine, but don't publish it as an original piece.

Yes I use it for learning.
But I still want to show my progress.
Since I am not a concept artist and not a really great at drawing I only do modeling.
I got only one life,so I intend to spend it on my happiness.

If someone doesnt want their work being used for things like this they should use watermark.

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by blackdragonstory: Yes I use it for learning.
But I still want to show my progress.
Since I am not a concept artist and not a really great at drawing I only do modeling.
I got only one life,so I intend to spend it on my happiness.

If someone doesnt want their work being used for things like this they should use watermark.

Wow... That's like saying if people don't want to get mugged they should stay off the street... The problem isn't people on the street, it's the mugging that is illegal.

I gave you exemple of people using multiple source image to create uniquely designed composition that they can call their own. What you are telling us now, is that you are too lazy to even splice different image together and create a unique image to use as a base for your own creation. Hell, you can do it with even less work and just use a 3D/emboss filter in photoshop and be done in 5 minutes max!

As for your last line... Does using the labor of other and pass it as your own makes you happy? Really?

PS: Why am I getting the feelling that I'm being trolled here...

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by Tuxon86: Wow... That's like saying if people don't want to get mugged they should stay off the street... The problem isn't people on the street, it's the mugging that is illegal.

I gave you exemple of people using multiple source image to create uniquely designed composition that they can call their own. What you are telling us now, is that you are too lazy to even splice different image together and create a unique image to use as a base for your own creation. Hell, you can do it with even less work and just use a 3D/emboss filter in photoshop and be done in 5 minutes max!

As for your last line... Does using the labor of other and pass it as your own makes you happy? Really?

PS: Why am I getting the feelling that I'm being trolled here...

Well,I love anime.
If I want to do for example Kirito from Swords Art Online,I want him to look as he looks in 2D.
If we limit ourself to do only that work we can sell or call our "original" work then we wont ever be able to progress.

I will not go on and sell the model without getting a permision.
But I will definetly upload it as my model which is obviously based on that particular anime.

It's like saying that even if I did a 3D model,that 3D model is not my property.
It belongs to a guy that did 2D image.
How can something belong to someone that he didnt even make with his own hands?(in 3D)

I am sorry,but I will not back down to an artist that only sees money.
Modeling characters,anime especially makes me happy and I will keep doing that.
Should I create my own anime just so I can legally model it? -_-

03 March 2014
This sounds like 2 different conversations. Are you guys sure you're arguing about the same thing.
Originally Posted by blackdragonstory: If someone doesnt want their work being used for things like this they should use watermark.
I don't think anyone would tell you not to copy other peoples work for practice but this statement is a little disrespectful. Show respect to the original artist when using their ideas. As unlikely as it would be if I was converting someones 2D concept into a 3D representation and they asked me not to, I would need to respect their wishes and stop. It's not really a matter of money and it shouldn't matter if the original artist took proper precautions to protect their work. I realize we live in a world full of pirates but surely we can be better than that?
wyattharris.com Dig it!

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: This sounds like 2 different conversations. Are you guys sure you're arguing about the same thing.
I don't think anyone would tell you not to copy other peoples work for practice but this statement is a little disrespectful. Show respect to the original artist when using their ideas. As unlikely as it would be if I was converting someones 2D concept into a 3D representation and they asked me not to, I would need to respect their wishes and stop. It's not really a matter of money and it shouldn't matter if the original artist took proper precautions to protect their work. I realize we live in a world full of pirates but surely we can be better than that?

Yes,I would stop as well if he asks me to do that.
If someone is a 2D artist he should feel proud of himself that someone converted his concept,drawing into 3D and so on.
There is less bad than good in this.

Bad:

- someone might use your work to make money
- someone might claim that they did the whole thing and that you are copying him

Good

- your work spreads everywhere in 2D,3D,Movies...
- people know about you and want to work with you
- you might even gain money from selling your work or get a percentage of money some guy gets for each model sale that is based on your concept
- sometimes a 3D model can have more future than a 2D one

Today games are mostly in 3D and cartoons are also moving slowly to that as well.
It's kind of weird that we like games in 3D while for cartoons we want 2D.(this is my opionion but I am sure most people are like this - it's probably the quality of 3D cartoons,but they are improving;a cartoon that has episodes not cartoon movie)

03 March 2014
Get permission and credit the original artist. If you cant get permission, no problem, plenty of other artists who will gladly give you their permission. Plenty of great art and artists to find in no time on the internet.

Not crediting the artist is unrespectful.
If you want to be taken serious as an artist you understand and know why.

What your opinion is on this doesnt really matter, its still the other guy's art and that's why you should ask him.

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by tolansky: Hello guys,
I'm a student of 3D and I have a doubt. I am wanting to make a scene, but I'm no idea so I went searching 2D concepts of various environments found on google. I wonder if I would be plagiarism replicate in 3D and then publish.

sorry for my english and thank you already.

Tribute work, so in this case reproduction of a work in a different media technique (3D reconstruction of a 2D work), provided you DO NOT profit from it, and credit the original plus provide a way to reach it (link to the author's website) is legal to both perform and display as it falls under fair use.

So if you take a painting that you love and recreate it in 3D, you are free to display it on your portfolio, even if you use it to promote yourself, provided you don't have direct sources of income tied to it (banners, monetization and so on) and that you fully credit and enable reaching of the original author.

While some people take issue with it, it's far from the majority, and it sure isn't illegal. Fan art and alternate technique reproductions are immensely popular, and master copies are regarded as a common learning tool.
People like to bring in talk of ethics and think the law aligns to their opinion, but thing is technique is important, and can be developed in absence of creativity perfectly fine, and non-creative technique focus is actually quite an important part of art education. just don't make it the only thing you do maybe.

reply share thread