nHair question and other intricancies / Maya 2018

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
nHair question and other intricancies / Maya 2018

Hehe, hi everyone.

So I'm playing around with nHair for the first time and I'm having a bit of a head scratcher, so here are some quick questions if anyone feels like the good deed:

-is there a quick way to display / create tubes out of multiple dynamic curves?
-when using the nHair / Create nHair command from the menu, is there a way to add some turbulence to the created hair afterwards?
-do the values in fields like: bend Compression Resistance, Stretch Resistance etc mean anything in terms of real world units? Any red flags here?

Many thanks.

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Hey,

You can attach a paint effects brush to a hair system. Later on you can convert these to polygons if you like.

nHair works with all fields. So you can add a turbulence field after you created the hair. Make sure the field is linked to the hair system throught the dynamic relationships.

In terms of real scale. If I can remember correctly nuclues works in meters and maya in centimeters. So these don't correspond. Make sure you set the space scale settings on the nucleus node to 0.01.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Originally Posted by ralphymeijer: Hey,

You can attach a paint effects brush to a hair system. Later on you can convert these to polygons if you like.

nHair works with all fields. So you can add a turbulence field after you created the hair. Make sure the field is linked to the hair system throught the dynamic relationships.

In terms of real scale. If I can remember correctly nuclues works in meters and maya in centimeters. So these don't correspond. Make sure you set the space scale settings on the nucleus node to 0.01.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheer

Thanks for the input.

I will try the paint effects trick. I thought there was already something native to the curve / hair systems in maya that was optimized for that.
That bit about the fields looks very interesting and I'll have to try it. If it respects the attraction and other ramps within the hair system, which it should, then that will work nicely.
That last tip is priceless.

Was wondering also if it's possible to edit the guide after creation or even convert a collection of curves to a nHair system. That would be really nice.

Cheers!

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
You could also try xgen for post processing -
With nHair can choose between output curves and paint fx as the simulation output. When you choose output curves, you can connect them to xgen guides to apply additional styling (...it's not as easy as it sounds, lots of pitfalls/bugs/workarounds on your way there)

reply share thread