Simmetry modelling , and some feature wishes.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  06 June 2005
Simmetry modelling , and some feature wishes.

Hi there. i downloaded Silo some hour ago, so i'm in the playing and exploring phase. BTW i founsd Silo to be very intuitive in many of its parts. i like the UI, and also the possibility to customize it alot.
There's something i miss from Lightwave modeler , and Modo, so far tho. and its real simmetry modelling. yep i know. i can setup easily my model with mirror instance, and model simmetrically, but there are some things to consider in real simmetry modelling a la Lw or Modo.

1) in Lw and modo, u can model directly with subpatches on and forget your cage if u want. silo too, but in the case of mirror instance, u get a bad central seam in your mesh, wich doesn't help you to focus on the final organic model so much.

2) simmetric modelling means also that u cam model without a center line that divides the model into 2 halves. this is cool , especially if u use box modelling method coupled with spin edge for polyflow. BTW you can introduce your seam when u want or loose simmetry so no real problem.

3) another cool thing i'd introduce, is simmetry in all axes, as it happens to be in ZBrush too. yhis helps alot, allows to edit your model working on both sides, and also in several axes if u want. i found this to be a very cool ZB feature,

simmetry mode means also simmetry selection. so in that case its easy to select beter parts aof the model. also, this is very efficient when what u only want is select a part to change its material, especially when an object is complete and mirrored. for example the inner of the mouth, or the hands if u want to resize them or make other changes.

4) give primitives the possibility to be deformed since the start with cage handles, and also the feature to create spans and rows in them when they're on the screen. it is much more intuitive than setting parameters in the window.

another feature i'd like to see in the future is some kind of construction history just like it happens to be in maya, but also in Hexagon.

other requests could be :
a magnet tool and so using some sort of falloff. could be extended with some brush tools ala maya/modo.

a bend tool, or better a tool similar to hexagon bender :
too good the fact you can edit the bending after youve done it,

possibility to work efficiently while in subdivided mesh mode. split tool becomes a bit clumsy tool in that case, and don't seem to work always as expected.

also, if there's not one give us a property window to open or keep opened at the left side of te UI alllowing to easily insert values

Last edited by Nemoid : 06 June 2005 at 12:15 AM.

share thread