smoothing groups problem

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
smoothing groups problem

I have a small prablem with smoothing groups. i'm modelling a sniper rifle (vss vintarez) and i just finished making the clip, when i came across a problem. on the first image you can see the selected polygons which share one smoothing group. the second image is the render. as you can see there is a problem with triangulation and the lighting is crap. i dont know why, the polygons are flat (coplanar).

1:

2:

Old 04 April 2013   #2
You need to go in and remove isolated vertices and clean the mesh. Those shaded triangles show that you have more than 4 vertices (and hidden edges) on those faces. Or use the Smooth Modifier with prevent indirect smoothing enabled.

-Eric

Old 04 April 2013   #3
this is render without smoothing groups:

as you can see the mesh itself is preety clean and there are no isolated nor overlapping verts. the problem lays within smoothing groups

Old 04 April 2013   #4
On the largest polygon, it looks like there's some vertices on the edges, since it appears to be trying to triangulate within it.

Otherwise, you might need another loop before it goes to the rounded part on the left. Same for the angled parts going the other direction, otherwise it will be trying to smooth the flat areas to angled surfaces.

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Did you use boolean on the main mesh of the clip? Because it looks like you used it to attach those grooves and create holes in the side. You should avoid using boolean whenever possible because it creates one giant mess with vertices and polygons. You are seeing those triangles when smoothed because you have an n-gon where you used to have a quad sided polygon (smoothing works best with quads). Use more edge loops if you are going to use boolean, but if I were you I would use edit poly to manually create holes on the side and I would attach those grooves as separate elements. Hope this helps.

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Originally Posted by SpeedKing: Did you use boolean on the main mesh of the clip? ... and I would attach those grooves as separate elements. Hope this helps.

yes, i used boolean union. but now i deatached those stripes as elements and closed the holes and now everything seems to be ok. exept maybe one thing: i used turbo smooth by smoothing groups and everything is fine, but one edge between 2 quads. it stays as hard edge. its not smoothed at all. quads on both sides share the same smoothing group

Old 04 April 2013   #7
Originally Posted by Arcymaszon: but one edge between 2 quads. it stays as hard edge. its not smoothed at all. quads on both sides share the same smoothing group

You probably have some left-over vertices that are not welded together. Double check your mesh and weld accordingly and you should be fine. Turbosmooth on such a simple object is unnecessary imo, stick with smoothing groups because you will end up with basically the same result .

Old 04 April 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread