Old 01-11-2007, 10:02 PM   #301
migusan76
DigiTeck3D

portfolio
Miguel Angel Santiago Jr.
Character Artist
America's Army
USA

Send a message via AIM to migusan76 Send a message via MSN to migusan76 Send a message via Yahoo to migusan76
jeremy that is awesome Thx's...

Old 01-16-2007, 04:09 PM   #302
mer
3D Artist

Akis
United Kingdom

Very nice migusan76!!

I love the skin, it looks very nice and the sss is just as it should.

Can you please explain the sss setup and the lighting/rendering set-up?Software and shaders used?

One ctitic , the Ambient oclution around the sclera where it meets with the skin/eyelid, it looks a bit too much and it also darkens the sss a little more than it should.The iris border needs some more bluring in the transition with the sclera.The iris map is really nice but I think it should be more sharp.Itlooks kinda like a photo mapped while it should look more 3dimentional with more depth and perhaps displacement.

The veins are nice in terms of rez of the texture but I think there shouldnt be so many aspecially around the iris , the tend to be more around the left and the right side od the sclera near the border of the eyelid.

Keep up the good work!Keep us updated

Cheers

Old 01-18-2007, 06:40 PM   #303
migusan76
DigiTeck3D

portfolio
Miguel Angel Santiago Jr.
Character Artist
America's Army
USA

Send a message via AIM to migusan76 Send a message via MSN to migusan76 Send a message via Yahoo to migusan76
Hey mer, I really like your entry!

As for the software I used maya/mentalray for set-up and rendering. Also used zbrush to tweak the base mesh and create or tweak textures for the objects. For the sss setup and shaders Iam using custom shaders I programmed for mental ray. Mainly since the scene was covered with SSS objects I used my custom skin shader that has a bssrdf diffusion term that calculates the different wavelengths in the object, combined with diffuse/subsurface terms depending on the map that I paint for it. Overall I used 10 textures on the face skin, and about 4 for the eyeball. Both used the same skin shader to get the overall look. I agree with your critic's the occlusion turned out to be a little darker than I had anticpated but by the time rendering was done it was to late for me or should I say the deadline I set for myself was in, There are tons of things I would different If I had to this all over again.

Last edited by migusan76 : 01-18-2007 at 06:44 PM.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:02 PM   #304
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

This is an old challenge now, this thread is archived. If you scroll down to the Challenge #7 section of the downloads page, you'll see that the models can still be downloaded for your tests, and also that a gallery has been made of top entries. Feel free to browse this thread to see what others have posted, even though you can no longer post here. -jeremy

Last edited by jeremybirn : 06-07-2009 at 01:38 AM.

reply share thread