Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-14-2014, 03:35 AM   #1
MtnFrost
portfolio
Frost
South Pasadena, USA

Dumb modeling question

After I've been building a model for awhile, the polys display some smooth, some hard edged, when the model is not selected. Like a bad quilt, even though the edge lines are correct, the models been cleaned, no un-merged points. Areas where I've had to rebuilt polys or insert edges have no smoothing. To be clear, this is different than smoothing the whole model, This is looking at the model with smoothing set to 1. Renders the same way. I don't know if this is indicative of a problem of some sort, or if not, how do you get all the polys to display the same smoothing without hitting '3' and increasing your poly count?

Thanks!

Old 08-14-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
MtnFrost
portfolio
Frost
South Pasadena, USA

smoothing edges

Okay, simple thing. When you model and add polygons to an existing polygon model, those additions are created with hard edges. This looks odd if the rest of your model already had edges set to smooth. Easiest way to fix is to grab all the edges, then use normals>soften edge, or normals>harden edge.

I post this only for those who need to know. Funny, I've worked with maya models for years and never came across this issue before.

Another item as you're building - check your normals from time to time. Make certain nothing has gotten flipped.

reply share thread