Maya adds artifacts to my PNG's (image command)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

07 July 2015
Maya adds artifacts to my PNG's (image command)

I have a strange error where Maya adds transparency artifacts to my images (PNG's) for no damn reason at all:
(image ruined by Maya - notice the black pixels)
(actual image)

I have ofc looked for transparent pixels using several methods. I've opened the PNGs in another viewer. Images looks fine. I've also checked for transparent pixels in photoshop by changing the background layer to a normal layer, and then created a mask from transparency using: Layer > Layer Mask > Layer Mask From Transparency. No transparency data is found in the PNG (mask is all-white).

I know it's transparent pixels as the color value is the same as the background on the UI where the image is on.

07 July 2015
Manually added transparent pixels in one corner (0,0,0,255 - RGBA). Saved image.
No artifacts in Maya

Manually painted the same pixels without transparency (0,0,0,0 - RGB). Saved image.
Artifacts comes back.

Both images/tests were displayed as they should in Windows Photo Viewer and Chrome Browser

08 August 2015
There's no alpha channel in the PNG. You should describe what you're actually doing, there are lots of ways to output PNGs in Maya...

08 August 2015
I'm perfectly aware of how the PNG format works thank you.
No, there is no alpha channel. But PNG supports transparent pixels - a fourth pixel value that ranges from 0 - 255.

The only thing I'm doing is trying to display a large PNG image on a user-interface. When the image has no transparent pixels, I get these artifacts, but as soon as I manually paint out one pixel with a transparent value everything works.

08 August 2015
Transparent pixels are the alpha channel. There is no transparency in these images, only random opaque black pixels. They're probably transparent in Maya before it writes the PNG, but not in the PNG, so whatever's happening is probably happening at render time and not when writing the output file.

(Anyway, unpleasant attitude, so others can take over from here...)

reply share thread