And Back Again, Ari Suonpää (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
And Back Again, Ari Suonpää (2D)

Title: And Back Again
Name: Ari Suonpää
Software: Painter, Photoshop

There are many paintings of Gandalf and Bilbo starting a journey, so I wanted to paint one where they are returning home. I'm still searching for my style by trying to keep things loose and leaving distinct brush strokes.

This painting started as a test for a paint program I've been making, but most of it was still done in Corel Painter. Some adjustments were done with Photoshop. The hobbit hole was referenced from photos taken on the Lord of the Rings movie set.

04 April 2013
Thumbs up

Very lovely. I like the tribute to the Hobbit. You did a good job using a wide variety of brushes and brush strokes to get the varied colors and textures for the landscaping. I really like how your wooden parts (the fence posts and door and such) turned out (that one cylindrical portion on the fence really captures that rough hewn and hand carved look). I think your grassy knoll for the hobbit hole is a tad short. There should be a bit more distance between the top of the door and the ridge of the grass (it feels kind of thin up there). Your trees look really nice (great use of the greys and blues on the bark tones). And I can make out that that's Gandolf and Biblo in the background (you got their character silhouettes down really well, and the colors as well). Definitely a keeper. Keep it up. Great job.

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread