RealFlow Grid Mesh Problem

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2012
RealFlow Grid Mesh Problem

I made a simulation in Realflow and now I want to make a grid mesh to export it and import in 3D Max.
I let it simulate then click on the Grid_Fluid_Domain and go to Grid Mesh and then Build.
Then I go back to Frame 0 and let it simulate again.
But then my mesh looks like that:

My mesh stuck somehow.

Anyone know why?

05 May 2012
Try using one of the other mesh types. Gridmesh is ok for large, thick bodies of fluid, but it won't conform to the details. Try meshing with the standard mesh or RFRK mesh.

05 May 2012
^Agreed

OR Use a smaller voxel size to get more particles emitted. You need more particles IMO.

See those little boxes in the corners of the grid? Those represent the size of your grids voxel (subdivision cells) So if your resolution is too low you will get a less dense emission of particles. I believe the default is 100 thousand so if you increase it 10 fold to 1 million you will have one million cells in the grid, this gives you more density for higher resolution simulation and better collision accuracy.

You certainly have to decide which system is best for your specific needs, each has its own advantages and disadvantages.

As for meshing, forget about realflows slow single threaded mesh system import to max and use frost.

Last edited by JohnnyRandom : 05 May 2012 at 07:41 PM.

05 May 2012
there are 3 mesh types 2 particle types and the grid mesh

I tried the standard particle mesh before and my particles showed on 3d Max but when I tried to look at the particle animation in 3D Max again the particle flow animation was offset.
after 200 Frames the particles are still at the top.
At first watch all is fine if I watch it a sencond time (scroll back to Frame 0 ) the animation is wrong.

the particles there I think where 500.000 that I used for this simulation so 500.000 are too low for grid mesh?

I don't have frost.

05 May 2012
Originally Posted by Karanja: there are 3 mesh types 2 particle types and the grid mesh

I tried the standard particle mesh before and my particles showed on 3d Max but when I tried to look at the particle animation in 3D Max again the particle flow animation was offset.
after 200 Frames the particles are still at the top.
At first watch all is fine if I watch it a sencond time (scroll back to Frame 0 ) the animation is wrong.

the particles there I think where 500.000 that I used for this simulation so 500.000 are too low for grid mesh?

In that screenshot you posted, you are at 66k particles on frame 157 of 200 with 43 frames. I could be wrong but that would mean you generated 434k more particles in the final 43 frames.

I am not sure what your workflow is. How are you importing your particles/meshes? I would not recommend using the pflow import it is slow. In fact RF particle loader is also slow when using dense counts. You can benefit from the free version of Krakatoa to bring your particles into max.

As for your realfow mesh it sounds like you have only meshed a single frame and not the whole sequence. You need to either;
1. mesh all frames in realflow and import those meshes into max
2. use a rendertime mesher like RF renderKit
3. import the particles with the eval version of Krakatoa (or one of the other slower methods mentioned earlier) and use a max plugin realtime mesher like frost, pwrapper, or blobmesh.

Originally Posted by Karanja: I don't have frost.

If you plan on doing any type of particle meshing seriously, you should

05 May 2012
My resolution was set to 500.000 in real flow.

I imported the paritles via PF and RealFlowFileBirth and RealFlowFileUpdate001.

I have Krakatoa. How you import the particles via Krakatoa?

05 May 2012
Originally Posted by Karanja: I have Krakatoa. How you import the particles via Krakatoa?

Now your on the right track. Create a PRT Loader and add the .bin sequence in the particles folder in your realflow project folder. Note the PRT Loader default viewport percentage is set to only 1% so upon import you may only see a couple of particles until you adjust the percentage.

05 May 2012
The PRT Loader worked fine.
Is there a way now to give them a water material? If I don't have frost etc.

05 May 2012
As I mentioned earlier, sorry I guess I was not clear enough. I listed the tools/techniques. You can use frost, pwrapper, or blobmesh. I list them in that order as an order of hierarchy, frost would be my first choice, pwrapper would be my second, and meshing with blobmesh is a tossup between it and meshing in realflow + exporting the mesh.

Of course since we are going this route I am going to make things slightly more complex

Time is not wasted, since you have Krakatoa, and you have imported to PRT you can render a foam pass to comp in with your mesh pass. I think this is something you would want as it looks like you are making a waterfall? Instead of me typing again what is already said a dozen times I'll give you a brief explanation and a link to a tutorial.

Basically you can color your particles by velocity (since you already have a velocity channel) coloring white if they are moving and black if they are not this will work as both your diffuse pass AND your alpha channel, since black particles used in an alpha are basically invisible. With it as diffuse you can color them in post anything you like.

PixelPro made a video tut here:
http://vimeo.com/10100296

11 November 2012
i know this an old thread but had a similar issue, i have 11million grid particles in my scene which seems like enough for my purposes but using the standard grid mesh the mesh wont come to the edge of my object it will curve downward underneath the object a ways from the objects mesh which looks horrid.

11 November 2012
The grid mesher works well for wide shots of large water surfaces, but that's it. For anything else, you still need the particle mesher or some plugin like Frost (actually, my favorite).

As these meshers expect BIN files, you need to export them from your Grid fluid during simulation (no, it will not work in cached mode). If you are still using RF5, you need to export BIN files from the Grid Fluid Emitter. All this needs to be set up in Realflow's Export Central (F12).

In case you are using RF2012 and you forgot exporting the Grid as BIN (usually, you shouldn't be doing this as it tends to create very large files), you can easily help yourself. Just read the blog entry from Luis Miguel:

http://luismma.wordpress.com/2012/02/21/tips-and-tricks-i-forgot-to-check-the-bin-for-the-gfd-should-i-resimulate-no/

11 November 2012
yeah i was going to try use .bin but each frame for the domain was 1.2gigabytes and with 500frames and an already simulated .gdc sequence, it would have approached 1tb sooooo just went with the normal grid mesh

11 November 2012
Welcome to the wonderful world of fluid simulation. Those amounts of data per frame are quite normal and still far from what what I consider huge sim cache files.

11 November 2012
lol yea figured as much

11 November 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread