Old 09-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

Why CS6 cost twice in Europe (Germany)?

So I went to the Adobe online store with intention to buy CS6 for my new PC.

I almost fell out of my seat when I see the price. At 950 for the standard edition, it cost almost twice the same copy at the US store ($699).

Excluding the bloody VAT, its still cost 899. Seriously. This really pissed me off big time.

Anyway, rant aside, do you guys in Europe have problem with downloading the US version & work on the laptop, or US physical copy?

Or what alternative I have, I am thinking of the student version, but I heard you need to show your student pass every 6 months or so.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

There was a thread on this subject recently which has some good info. I think it started as an Autodesk thread which also discussed Adobe, or it could have been the other way around.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

Is there another thread on this. I do not normally visit this area.

But I rather pissed off. I did a search on the net, & the representative replies are frankly bad.

I think this is the standard reply

"The cost of doing business in UK and Europe is significantly higher per unit of revenue earned than it is in North America," David Gingell, Adobe's senior marketing manager for EMEA, told ZDNet UK. "For example, in a large homogenous market like North America, we can achieve certain economies of scale that affect pricing. In the European Union, by contrast, we must support two major currencies, diverse regional market situations and 15 languages, all of which results in higher costs."

I guess we (in Europe) are used to paying higher prices for pretty much everything, but double the cost of what is already quite an expensive product is just a rip off (for a lack of a better word).

Wondering why other companies need not sell their product at twice the price like Adobe did.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
jburford
Expert
portfolio
Jeffrey Burford
_
Frankfurt, DE

I also really hate this, and agree, is pretty much nonsense of the companies here. In Germany, I feel the "Sheep Factor" has a major part to do with it. But hey, would be happy to be educated otherwise.

LOL, sort of like the 19% Value Added Tax here. What the . . . is the Value Added in paying an additional 19%?

Old 09-21-2012, 06:46 AM   #5
joeparis
Great Scot

Joe Cummings
Illustrator
london, United Kingdom

Ditto all the frustration about the huge price difference. As for the student version, I don't think you need to provide regular evidence of remaining a student because once it's purchased (with proof) it's yours to use for as long as you like, even after graduation/dropping out. You just can't upgrade from it.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

In the other thread on this, the general bad feeling was aimed at the vast price difference in different countries, even though we mostly download digitally. Digital downloads don't cost Adobe etc. any more to provide to customers anywhere on the planet.

BTW here is the other thread on this: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...p?f=2&t=1045559

Last edited by Dillster : 09-21-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #7
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

Thanks for the link.

I think the VA in VAT are very misleading words, but I can digest if the price of Photoshop is US price + VAT, or even more by say 30-40%, but twice the price just leave a bad taste.

The local support & language translation are just lame excuse. I am sure most people will not mind using the English version if it cost about the same as US.

At best, you only need to translate some new features, & update a bit of the old text, hardly justify the extra cost.

Also, what support you need for Photoshop? I can digest if its a very specialize or technical software, but photoshop?

maybe to get my money worth, we need to call their support once in a while. 'Hello, I need help, how do I create a new layer...."

Now they have a monopoly, they think they can charge whatever they wanted, but I will jump ship once a good competitive product at a more reasonable price comes around.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #8
chewedon
Frequenter

portfolio
Clement Wu
Perth, Australia

Send a message via MSN to chewedon
There is this big camera house in New York that apparently sells it called B&H Video.

Here's a search for Photoshop CS6 on B&H Video website:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...Top+Nav-Search=

Don't know about other countries but customs import tax into Australia, you can expect to pay at least AUD $187+ for items over AUD $1000.

I hope Adobe staffs don't read this post and decide to ban the shop from selling it to outside-US customers.

Ridiculous how we can purchase ZBrush from US but not Adobe softwares (I mean directly from their own website). I never actually understood their excuse about local prices, nor do I remember it.

That's what happens when you get a monopoly. :(

There's actually a nice looking photo editing app for Mac with very polished interface called Pixelmator:

http://www.pixelmator.com/

It's doing well, has lots of features (obviously not as many as Photoshop but getting there). It's affordable too, $30 USD.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by chewedon : 10-17-2012 at 06:31 AM.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
CHRiTTeR
On the run!

Chris
Graphic designer extraordinaire
Belgium

Just wait for the next major release of the gimp, which will support 16 & 32 bit images

Old 10-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread