Als
Expert
portfolio
Aleksandar Stiglic
digital artist, 3D
United Kingdom

MAYA Rendering HIGH RESOLUTION images

Hi,

I'm trying to render a high res image with maya.
This is not possible off the shelf. I've looked into some "solutions" which are posted
elsewhere, and they are not solutions. Once you go higher res then 20.000 pixels, you are on your own.
I love what Maya does in this case. It just CHANGES your resolution to 1 pixel, and continues like nothing happened. REALLY?

Important part:
Could MAYA actually RENDER TILES, when told to?
When you render region, maya renders WHOLE FRAME black, plus tiny little region.
That is almost useless for any serious resolution and I don't see the point at all.
We need a rendering of TILES, real TILES, not whole black image.

And yes, I've checked some of those mel scripts. They don't help.

Thank you for reading.

Als

VFX rule no. 387
# Just redo it!

Old 03-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
JasonA
Expert

portfolio
Jason Adank
3D Artist
Portland, USA

what you're referring to is distributed frame rendering.

There's no way to set this up in the default maya gui, but you can make it happen by rendering from the command line. Another alternative (and easier) is to have a render farm management app. For example, you can setup a dfr using Thinkbox's Deadline pretty easily, because they built in access to the switches in their gui.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
zaskar
Expert
portfolio
franky****inFourFingaz
-
Dresden, Germany

You should manipulate the film back options block of your cameraShape. For example set the preScale attribute to 2.0 and you see only a quarter of your initial image area, so now you only need to tweak your vertical/horizontal film offset values. If your image width heigth ratio equals your camera apertures aspect ratio this is especially easy because you dont need to take the image aspect into account for the math. The film offset values are measured in inches like the film gate aperture values, so the math for the film offset shift values wold be for horizontal: 0 +/- (apertureH / (tilesH * preScale). Same for the verticla settings: 0 +/- (apertureV / (tilesV * preScale)). You can animate this four shift values and render using batch. Then comp the tiles in PS. But note that things like FinalGathering could give you some artifacts at the seams if you cut the imagery this way during rendering.
Also i dont think that some render managers help here because all they do is to manage distributing render jobs etc, but they do not alter the render engine itself and tell them to use the render regions resolutions as full image resolution...

Last edited by zaskar : 03-22-2013 at 01:55 PM.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
Als
Expert
portfolio
Aleksandar Stiglic
digital artist, 3D
United Kingdom

Hi Zaskar,
This is the way we done it on the end.
Your answer is spot on, thank you very much!
I had the same issue before with high res, but then it didn't work because I was using lens shader.
This time it did. My point is the way batch render options are set, renders region is not useful at all,
and doesn't make sense to me. What good is an image with huge amount of black in it?
What's the point in that?
So starting it from the command line is not going to help it at all.
I tried deadline, it seems that might work, but it also sends full res image which means that you will get 1 pixel image back, and then scratch your head in bewilderment.
Also that decision that maya just switches to 1 pixel is ... well, better not to comment that further.
I know I sound negative etc. but those are very simple basic things.
I'm aware as well, that they only have impact on small houses, or freelancers.
We don't have the time, nor we can go in and do some of the hacks and additional workflows like big post houses.
Nor we have the time to write long bug reports...

Als

VFX rule no. 387
# Just redo it!

Old 03-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
zaskar
Expert
portfolio
franky****inFourFingaz
-
Dresden, Germany

I think regions inside full size images yet make a bit sense because if you only need a small area corrected you can directly add the image on top of your images in PS and then crop away the black area. No need to pixelwise shift the image to the correct place. Also for animations and compositing those renders are much easier to handle. If all of your region area is defined by an alpha channel you just put the sequence with regions on top of your tracks (for example using AE), done. So for the majority of uses this seems to be the better solution. But its also possible using maya and render only the region as full image size, but then you are restricted to the old software renderer

Old 03-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
Als
Expert
portfolio
Aleksandar Stiglic
digital artist, 3D
United Kingdom

Well, it would be reasonable to have both, but if you only render a small tile, how difficult is to put it in place?
But the issue is that with MR you very quickly hit the spot, and then the region render option doesn't work at all, and it annoyingly switches to 1 pixel.
If you need to render high resolution, then you're stuck, unless you start hacking.
The higher the resolution, more pain.
This all sounds only as half implemented renderer, that's all.

Als

VFX rule no. 387
# Just redo it!

Last edited by Als : 03-22-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread