Where do they get that from (costume references)?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2009
Where do they get that from (costume references)?

One thing I'm always wondering is what resource is there to turn to when developing concepts for the costumes of characters? Does anyone know of a series of books that pay attention to certain periods in history or if there happens to be a book on fashion that is handy to artist when designing characters? I've come up with several character designs myself, and I always have a heck of a time trying to outfit them in something right. I look at concept art and i'm just always asking "what was that guy thinking when he decided to dress them in that?". Now i know the flow of it comes with a history in the art, but I would like to hear what other concept artist use when designing characters. I'm thinking something that pertains to the fashion industry?

Last edited by Lunatique : 03 March 2009 at 04:52 AM.

03 March 2009
Search amazon.com. The best book I have on that subject is The Chronicle of Western Fashion by John Peacock, but it's still limited as it does not cover other cultures.

With the internet it's a lot easier to find information these days though, provided your connection doesn't go down while you are doing your research.

03 March 2009
Thank you Lunatique. I stumbled onto a series of coloring books by Dover. They have these books for about $4 covering all different periods in time. They're supposed to have detailed illustrations in them. If anyone already uses these or if anyone uses something else, please share. Thanks again for the direction.

03 March 2009
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread