Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
NautilusD
portfolio
D
Mission V, USA

New to Zbrush - Brush overlap and pixelation question

Hiyo,

I'm brand new to Zbrush and I'm trying to wrap my head around a few things as I build out my first model.

The main 2 questions that keep popping up for me:

1.) How can I keep my brush from building upon itself?

http://i.imgur.com/kZHvsgn.jpg

I'm trying to make a clothing fold that wraps around my characters arm, but it requires me to rotate my model to draw it completely around. So when I lift my pen from the tablet and then redraw to connect the fold, it builds a new layer of clay on top of itself. Is there an option someplace where I can disable the build up or should I make this strap via another method?

2.) My brushes look really pixelated and jagged! (See same image: http://i.imgur.com/kZHvsgn.jpg) Is this normal? When I watch tutorials other people's clay looks really smooth and natural. Even when I increase my geometry, my brushes still look very jagged and ugly on my model. I think go back and try to smooth out these jagged parts, but it results in me losing any sort of harder edges I want to keep on the model.

Thanks for the help

Old 03-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
ezekiel66
Know-it-All

portfolio
v j
3D Artist
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by NautilusD

1.) How can I keep my brush from building upon itself?

Mask off the area you want to displace (and invert the mask), then use the "Size" deformation tool (Tool menu) to push the masked surface outward.

Thats kind of a workaround of course. I actually don't know if it is possible to keep a brush from building up on itself, because this does not make sense most of the time, its something you generally want to happen. I'm working with ZBrush for many years now, and to be honest, this question has never occured to me before...

The brushes can only deform the geometry thats actually there. So if your brush strokes look jagged, the resolution of your mesh is too low, and you need to increase it. Click on the Tool -> Geometry -> Divide button a couple of times.

Last edited by ezekiel66 : 03-13-2013 at 08:50 PM.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
NautilusD
portfolio
D
Mission V, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezekiel66
Mask off the area you want to displace (and invert the mask), then use the "Size" deformation tool (Tool menu) to push the masked surface outward.

Oh duh, that's a much better idea. Sometimes with all the brushes and things I forget that there are more normal tools for doing things.

Strange, I've subdivided my model a number of times, but I'm still getting these weird, jagged, pixelated lines.

I guess I just need to follow a few tutorials first before I break into my own characters.

Thanks...

Old 03-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread