Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
Seithr
Veteran
portfolio
Nick
Auckland, New Zealand

Maya Vray and Glass

I know there are many tutorials scattered all over the internet in regards to Vray and glass but NONE of them can fix my transparency issue. I follow them exactly and every time I render I cannot see my character on the other side of the glass, it just renders black. Ive set diffuse to black, reflection/refraction to white, fresnel IOR to 1.4, afftect shadows is ticked, affect all channels ticked. I also went into the Vray global render settings and enabled GI and also caustics and still it renders black. It even looks like glass in hypershade so I have no idea what im doing wrong here...its as if light is blocked from passing through.

Anyone else experienced this before?

Old 05-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
lostparanoia
Care bear
Mikael
VFX artist - 3D
Malmö, Sweden

Are your normals pointing in the right direction? Is the character mesh visible in refractions?

Old 05-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
Seithr
Veteran
portfolio
Nick
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks for the reply that did not change the result. I added a background and I can now see that it is in fact transparent, however, it is still not showing my character through the glass. Strangely enough, the only object that shows through the glass are the buttons on my characters jacket. These are the only objects that use a Vray car paint material. Everything else is made of a standard Vray material and SSS shader for the skin.

heres a pic to better describe the issue:

Old 05-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
lostparanoia
Care bear
Mikael
VFX artist - 3D
Malmö, Sweden

Did you import anything as an obj? Did you check so that the invisible meshes are "visible in refractions" in the invisible objecs' render tab in the shape node?

If that's not it, there's something wrong with your meshes. try combining the geometries with a simple box, then separating them again.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
Seithr
Veteran
portfolio
Nick
Auckland, New Zealand

Talking

Bang on , it was the fact that I didnt have those boxes ticked in the shape nodes of my character. I also have one other small issue you may or may not know how to deal with.

With this glass im trying have have it reflect an image plane. Imagine the character is looking out from behind the glass at a planet. The camera is looking at the reflection of the planet from the outside.

What would be the correct settings to achieve this? Once again, really appreciate the help you are giving me, its a huge help

Old 05-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
Seithr
Veteran
portfolio
Nick
Auckland, New Zealand

Scratch that, turned off fresnel and it works perfectly now

Old 05-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
lostparanoia
Care bear
Mikael
VFX artist - 3D
Malmö, Sweden

If I understand correctly, the camera is looking at the character through a glass surface that also reflects the earth?

Just pipe your earth texture into a vrayLightMtl, assign it to a plane and place it so that it's reflection is visible in the window.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread