Plugin and Nodal DemoReel

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 08 August 2014   #16
Thanks for the quick reply!

Yeah, it took me a bunch of times to read that paragraph from the Disney paper before I understood they were doing Plane-Segment intersections. Though I really have no clue on how to do that through the Maya API. It seems the algorithm is extremely fast (in your case) so I assume there's some efficient math that somehow makes it 'easy' to do such a plane-segment check.

With segment you're referring to an edge in Maya right?

Is it something like: From current startpoint get neighbour faces and their edges, do plane/segment check with those edges and get the next face corresponding to that edge. From that face get its edges, do place/segment check with edges and get next face, etc. Then iterate like that until you get to the end point (= reach maxDistance).

Would love to know how you're doing that plane/segment check.

And again, thanks for the reply!

Old 08 August 2014   #17
You can easily find a plane-segment intersection function on the web man,
then yes, segments in this case are mesh edges.

A good trick to do is computing the full neighboors datas in pre-process,
so you don't need for each step to pickwalk inside the mesh ( there is a big cost for that ).

A question for you now ! is fabric engine 'slice' easy to learn ? What kind of code is that ? object oriented ? Pythonic or c-tonic ? lol
Are performances good even for a deformer ? Is there a kind of pseudo compilation ?

Hans

Old 08 August 2014   #18
You can easily find a plane-segment intersection function on the web man,

I was more asking regarding converting on how to retrieve the necessary mesh edges that you want to check one, but yeah. I'll look into it some day soon. Thanks again!

I might just poke you again if I get stuck!

A question for you now ! is fabric engine 'slice' easy to learn ?

Interestingly enough I found it incredibly easy to pick up! But it's still lacking some of the 'convenient' API features that make some complex tasks easy for everyone. You should be able to fully pull through it though!

I did the Delta Mush implementation on the third/fourth day playing around with Fabric Engine. And I had never implemented anything close to it so it was also a bit of messing with the algorithms, though I did have a general direction I thought I had to go in.

What kind of code is that ? object oriented ? Pythonic or c-tonic ?

The code feels a bit like C, but it doesn't have the nasty pointers stuff. Because it compiles so quickly and you get mostly instant feedback with that the speed of prototyping feels much much more like Python! I'm already a big fan of where its heading. (You should check out their Siggraph videos with the ICE-like graph they are implementing, sweet!)

Are performances good even for a deformer ? Is there a kind of pseudo compilation ?

Speed of the code is very nice. I think the most slowdowns I had was from converting a Maya mesh to splice data (though with their new developments this is getting tackled in new ways!), but managing the data internally went with pretty great speeds.
It really gets compiled to optimized code through LLVM (afaik) and runs at very high speeds.

Basically if it's not yet there with regard to speed/optimization. For example there's no way to 'cache' input data from Maya since you can't query whether the data has changed. (This is scheduled for next release though!)

I think currently it's definitely a great tool to do rapid prototyping. (I find it a lot easier than prototyping nodes with Maya API through either Python/C++).

Old 08 August 2014   #19
Thx for your answers !

reply share thread