Sound playback in viewport

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

4 Weeks Ago
Sound playback in viewport

Hey All,

I'd heard and was really hoping they'd fixed this issue with R19 but nope. I've a pretty complex scene where I need to time the animation to a VO.
I've imported the WAV and added it to the scene (Null - Special Tracks - Sound). When I come to playback the sound is still jumpy and stuttering.
I've tried turning viewport level of detail down to low and changed view to wireframe. The scene isn't particularly geometry heavy but I can't get clear playback of the WAV.

I know I've brought this up before but I'd hoped they'd fixed this in 19. Just wondered if anyone else had workarounds/solutions? 
I know I could place markers at important points etc, but I don't get why there should be a stutter?

Thanks in advance.

TonyG.

Cinema4d R19 - WIndow 10.

4 Weeks Ago
Did you tried play sound in new empty scene?
For me playing sound works fine, without any issues. I was played with new sound effector few days ago and itīs very funny...
btw, the same specification as yours

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by bezo: Did you tried play sound in new empty scene?
For me playing sound works fine, without any issues. I was played with new sound effector few days ago and itīs very funny...
btw, the same specification as yours
Yup. Plays fine in an empty scene. I've a few polygons flying around and suddenly my VO develops a stutter. Disappointing.

4 Weeks Ago
BTW. Even when I solo the null / sound file (Using the great MagicSolo plugin) the sound still stutters. What gives??

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by tonyg3d: Hey All,

I'd heard and was really hoping they'd fixed this issue with R19 but nope. I've a pretty complex scene where I need to time the animation to a VO.
I've imported the WAV and added it to the scene (Null - Special Tracks - Sound). When I come to playback the sound is still jumpy and stuttering.
I've tried turning viewport level of detail down to low and changed view to wireframe. The scene isn't particularly geometry heavy but I can't get clear playback of the WAV.

I know I've brought this up before but I'd hoped they'd fixed this in 19. Just wondered if anyone else had workarounds/solutions? 
I know I could place markers at important points etc, but I don't get why there should be a stutter?

Thanks in advance.

TonyG.

Cinema4d R19 - WIndow 10.

Usually a problem like this is caused by the project frame rate being set higher than the actual frame rate achievable (for whatever reason) and the play "All Frames" option of the viewport being enabled.

The later one forces the VP to display all frames no matter what and if the achieved frame rate in the viewport doesn't match the project frame rate, then the sound has to be "re-synced" - probably frequently. This is perceived as stuttering (and can be worse on Windows than on Mac due to the system's worse audio latencies).

If it is fine to drop some frames (disable the "All Frames" option) when playing, then this stuttering shouldn't happen.

Best regards,

Wilfried

4 Weeks Ago
From Google ...

I got my answer from another forum. It turns out that I had 'All frames' activated in the timeline, which was prohibiting me from playing the audio realtime. Once I deactivated 'All frames' it played fine.  

If you want to read the forum thread from http://www.c4dcafe.com, I included it below.
http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/topic/63...problem-in-c4d/

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.13.4 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

reply share thread