Measure and Construct Tool is Pathetic

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

02 February 2018
Measure and Construct Tool is Pathetic

I'm disappointed and frustrated with the 'Measure and Construct Tool'

I find the only way to use the tool is to manually draw out a line. It would be logical to be able to drag one object into "Point 1 Object slot" and a second object into the "Point2 Object slot. Perhaps also be able to use points stored as selection tags. But when I try anything but manually measuring M&C ignores my changes. It ignores it whether I'm in tool mode or if I've converted the M&C into an object.

Can I get a measurement between two objects by dragging them into the object slots? Nope.
Can I create saved selection points from two objects and use them in slot one and two? Nope.

In twenty minutes of playing I couldn't once see any way to use the damn tool without resorting to using snapping and manually dragging. For my project I'm trying to get a number of measurements between nulls that have been imported from Syntheyes . Doing it manually is a pain in the arse. This is very unlike Maxon, IMO.

02 February 2018
I'd previously looked at Maxon's help, which didn't provide helpful info. I found a Cineversity video a decade old that at least showed how one can use the two slots properly. However, it's still a dud tool.

To use the slots you can't use a parametric object or a null...you have to use points or edges and you must cycle through to find a desired point index. M&C can't just use an object's axis.

Screw it. I'm going to have to buy a damn plugin or roll a little xPresso preset of my own. <Me Irritated>

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 02 February 2018 at 04:35 AM.

02 February 2018
Sadly I agree. I do a lot of technical / product type work and was really happy when this came out - until I tried to use it. A bit like yourself, I was scratching my head as to how Maxon could foul this one up so badly...

02 February 2018
Originally Posted by Mike Abbott: Sadly I agree. I do a lot of technical / product type work and was really happy when this came out - until I tried to use it. A bit like yourself, I was scratching my head as to how Maxon could foul this one up so badly...
It's so unlike Maxon and their track record of easy and use and elegance. I get the impression they gave the project to a coder on a summer internship.

I started to work something up inXpresso then just purchased MeasureIt plugin from c4dzone.

02 February 2018
Maxon doesn't do a very good job explaining the mindset behind the things they make. And that can often leave users thinking it's broken, or not working as expected.
But once you learn what the mindset of the person that created it was. It makes a lot more sense.

I'm guessing that the person who wrote that tool was addressing the specific task of using the mouse to draw the distance between two objects.
It was probably never even considered that someone would move the objects afterwards.
To draw an auto updating line with a distance value requires a tag plugin that stores the values. Not a Tool plugin that is typically used with mouse actions.
This can be done very easily with a custom tag plugin and two link fields. Or with Xpresso and two User Data fields (which is technically a tag plugin).
And it's probably doable with the new Interactive tag.

-ScottA

02 February 2018
Originally Posted by Scott Ayers: Maxon doesn't do a very good job explaining the mindset behind the things they make. And that can often leave users thinking it's broken, or not working as expected.
But once you learn what the mindset of the person that created it was. It makes a lot more sense.

I'm guessing that the person who wrote that tool was addressing the specific task of using the mouse to draw the distance between two objects.
It was probably never even considered that someone would move the objects afterwards.
To draw an auto updating line with a distance value requires a tag plugin that stores the values. Not a Tool plugin that is typically used with mouse actions.
This can be done very easily with a custom tag plugin and two link fields. Or with Xpresso and two User Data fields (which is technically a tag plugin).
And it's probably doable with the new Interactive tag.

-ScottA
Yes, I suspect with half a day to play around I could build the xPresso to do most of what I want. But it seems to me the native toolset should include a feature (tag, object, tool -- or combination) that accommodates this need.

IMO such a tool/tag shouldn't require explanation or studying a video.

Obviously the distance node in xPresso provides the heavy lifting so it wouldn't take much.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 02 February 2018 at 09:17 PM.

reply share thread