Substance painter & designer - Workflow questions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

01 January 2018
Substance painter & designer - Workflow questions

I'm currently a few weeks into learning painter and designer. Both of which have blown my mind.
The results are fast, intuitive and can be made to look really professional with minimal effort.

..... Substance workflow

When exporting more than a single object to Painter, so that I can work on parts of a model simultaneously.
I have to apply a colored material to each object (objects that have separate UV maps). And finally combine them into a single object which then has overlapping UV's.

When I load that object in Painter, it'll identify that there's 4 objects (in this case) into the 'TextureSetList' and I'm free to start painting on each separate UV map. Painter doesn't seem to mind the overlap. C4D doesn't either, on re-import.

When I load the complete textures back, there's a bit of an issue re-aligning the proper maps to the tags. The order isn't always intuitive.
I could also undo the combine operation and get my 4 objects back, working with a little more ease and 4 separate UV maps.

My questions is, how is C4D aligning with a specific part of UV map? Is it simply that the selection tag is telling Cinema to target that part of the UV?
Is this a practical workflow? Am I doing it right?

I seem to remember that you could actually stack UV tags, but I never tried this and have never understood how each tag would correspond with a material
when there's only a selection tag available to the user.

Can you talk a little about what your own C4D to Painter workflow looks like? Mostly just import/export.

... Designer

My designer question is related to the substance import feature. |

For having a subscription to both Designer and Painter, I'm able to download 30 of the beautiful materials from substance source each month.
When I load in a substance into C4D, the resolution typically looks no more than 1024 and the materials tile.

I though procedural implied an infinitely detailed texture, but the gorgeous samples I'm loading in, look like arse in C4D.
I suppose that Designer and C4D don't communicate in a way that maintains a full procedural workflow, but shouldn't there be a resolution option in C4D?

https://source.allegorithmic.com/#/substances/home

Last edited by ThePriest : 01 January 2018 at 09:14 PM.

01 January 2018
My C4D > Substance Painter workflow is as follows:

In C4D I group different objects onto one UV canvas, by giving their UVW tags a same name.
I position each of the objects onto the UV canvas so they don't overlap. Next I run a script which creates me unique (dummy) materials based on the different UVW tag names in my scene, each object gets the appropriate material assigned by name. A dummy material only consists of a color channel (for now).
These materials will then be the references of the texturesets in Painter.
When loading the objects into Painter, the different subobjects are thus grouped/handled per material/UVWtag name (=texturesets)
I then export the maps for every textureset and use a plugin I wrote (called SPETI) to load and assign these maps automatically by name to the previously prepared dummy materials. The plugin automatically creates the necessary color/bump/normal/reflection/... channel and assign the map, and applies values using presets.

01 January 2018
It sounds as though texture work is crucial to what you do.
Is this script for sale?

Thanks for sharing. Although you've only confused me more with your workflow. :/

02 February 2018
Sorry for not replying earlier.
I was looking how to clarify the workflow, and have recorded some short video showing the different steps.
But I still have to edit and upload the video, as other work got in the way.
Will try to get everything completed before the end of the week.

02 February 2018
Here's the video I mentioned earlier.
Not the final result I had in mind, but due to time constraint ... I still hope it explains the workflow.

https://youtu.be/VkRsKjfnUiQ

02 February 2018
Thanks for sharing. Will take a look later today, when my kids aren't harassing me to go out.

reply share thread