Workflow study

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

02 February 2018
Workflow study

I've spent the last couple of months adding new tools to my pipeline, and finally getting around to learning some I added almost a year ago.

Zbrush
Surface suite (Surface Designer, Surface painter, bitmap2Material)
Redshift

This image could use a bit more work, but I'm pretty happy with it for the most part. Created over a 2 week span - render time for 1920 x 1080 is three minutes on my very mediocre PC with a GTX 1070

02 February 2018
Nice work. You have some nice detail in there, and like the camera position. If it where me if spend some time on colour correcting the back drop image to match the greens in with foreground. or try some lighter leaves toward the back. Also if possible have the the backdrop DOF start further back so as to not cut the foreground and background so harsh with this effect.

Would be nice to see the model without textures on with just the wires and clay shot.

Dan

02 February 2018
Very good feedback, thanks! It's funny - My original intent was not even to create a whole scene. I was so focused on the sculpting and textures I didn't even consider trying to color match to the HDRI. I can't really change the starting point of the DOF for the HDRI image as it's just a dome, but I can definitely tweak the colors on the vegetation in the foreground. I'll play with that today a bit.

Thanks again

02 February 2018
Originally Posted by interactiveBoy: Very good feedback, thanks! It's funny - My original intent was not even to create a whole scene. I was so focused on the sculpting and textures I didn't even consider trying to color match to the HDRI. I can't really change the starting point of the DOF for the HDRI image as it's just a dome, but I can definitely tweak the colors on the vegetation in the foreground. I'll play with that today a bit.

Thanks again
Maybe add another light with the leafs having SSS or two sided material for SSS effect, that would have it fit the lighting better.

Dan

02 February 2018
Updated with color correction on many of the materials and added a backlight

02 February 2018
I like the SSS on the leaves, maybe a little too strong in contrast to the back drop but looks nice indeed. The focus is a little lost of the subject I feel with blur which has lost its contrast. render out a depth pass and use that in Photoshop for DOF then you can choose a point in which to graduate the DOF and its strength so the focus of the front of your work is still very much in focus, its just getting that blend so the CG shares part of the backdop without matching its level of blur too far in front. This of course is just subject to my feel.

Nice update overal. The post work is where a peice goes from nice to great if you get that ballance, and its a very creative part of the whole.

Dan

Last edited by Rectro : 02 February 2018 at 03:11 PM.

reply share thread