R.i.p., Xsi

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

22 Hours Ago
Hiya!

Yup, tried all the LW stuff. Tried for days. No joy.

ArtRage5 - Definitely agree with the Pencil stuff! Their pencil is..."lacking" in so many regards. That said, the new brush designer SHOULD allow someone with more time than me to create a couple of good pencils...like a 2B, HB, F, H, Technical. Would love that!

Corel Painter - Last version I upgraded to was Painter IX. So..."a while ago". It just became too expensive for very little actual 'change'. Their recent 'thick paint' (or whatever they call it) looks cool...but not at that price of admission! They give me ZERO upgrade discount because my version is "so old". That right there, imho, is BS for a company to pull. If they were SELLING me it, sure, I'd understand. But they aren't. They are LICENSING it. And, imho, the industry at large has completely taken advantage of consumers by claiming "we don't sell it...we LICENSE it...so all those consumer protection and stuff doesn't count...we can do what we want, without recourse. Nnyyaaa!"

Only $6k for yours huh? Well, if you change that to Canadian you can add a 2 in front of it and that's how much my current MainGear rig cost me (not including monitors). (yes, about $26k; just under $20k US). I fully expect this to last me for a good number of years...like...10. That said, I had the money and always wanted a top-of-the-line 3D rig so I splurged a bit. And I gotta say...I am STILL absolutely BLOWN AWAY by how rock solid and speedy it is! Especially rendering. I went from rendering a scene that took 1:28 seconds down to 8 seconds! O_O So a second of animation dropped from about 45 minutes down to 2.5 minutes. So yeah...I call that a "win" in my book!

I think my next "upgrade" of this will be swapping out my AMD FirePro W9100 32gb for either a WX9100 16gb, or maybe grab a Radeon Pro SSG 100. Assuming I can actually find either for sale somewhere. They are a bit hard to come by. Still surprised I managed to pick up my 32gb W9100 when I did...I got lucky that day I guess.

Anyway, 3d. Expensive. Too expensive.

Paul L. Ming

reply share thread