R20 - plugin issues and updates

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

1 Week Ago
R20 - plugin issues and updates

I've heard it said that R20 breaks all plugins - is it literally every single one? I know Coffee is gone so it makes sense that those break - but what about C++ and Python plugins? And if those break too, how difficult will it be for authors to get them ready for R20? I'm not too worried about the big players (Insydium, GSG, Cineversity, etc), I'm sure that'll be fine. What I'm worried about is solo authors and other small operations.

A few I really need and would be sad to lose, and don't seem to have related R20 updates:
HyPoly Mute Layers (I'd die without this - I don't see any mentions of layer manager updates in R20)
HB Modeling Tools
Various NitroMan stuff
Michael Welter stuff
Z-Blur
Code-Vonc stuff
Frostsoft - vertex normal tool
Many others

1 Week Ago
I don't know for others, but while I had signed up for the MAXON Registered Developer program at the end of February, it seems I will have to wait for R20 to officially hit the streets in September.
Only then will I be able to start looking into updating all my plugins. I had hoped to be able to work on the plugins before R20 would be released to public, as to provide customers with R20-ready plugins. But since I am part of that public ...

1 Week Ago
I'm guessing that many people will need to have two versions of C4D installed for at least  a few years until they eventually ( if ever) ween themselves off their old plugins.

I can see this as being the new norm:
-Create something in older version using plugins
-Bake the results and save the file
-Open in R20 and continue working...

Of course.
None of this would be an issue at all if the people  that supplied these plugins supplied the source code the way I always do.
Then the users could simply change the code and re-compile it against whatever version of the SDK they want.
I'm looking at you too Maxon    *Cough   Importers & Exporters source code   *Cough.
But people are.......well......I won't say what people are. ;-)

-ScottA

Last edited by Scott Ayers : 1 Week Ago at 04:57 PM.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Scott Ayers: But people are.......well......I won't say what people are. ;-) 

-ScottA
People are quite flawed but pretty damn cool. There I finished it for you. 

1 Week Ago
...and many of them have been extremely generous in providing plugins at no, or minimal, cost to many users. Thanks to them all.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Mike Abbott: ...and many of them have been extremely generous in providing plugins at no, or minimal, cost to many users. Thanks to them all.

+1 Yes....big thanks there. I’ve got a bunch of free and modestly priced gems.

1 Week Ago
Coffee scripts/plugins would need to be converted. I believe Maxon Labs has something to help with that(but I could be wrong).

All C++ plugins need to be updated to work with R20, and my understanding is that it's somewhere between just compiling for the new version and rewriting the whole thing. 

Python plugins are more than likely just fine and don't need any updates unless parts of the API changed in R20.

1 Week Ago
Heh. Saying "people are" (anything) is like saying "food is" (anything) or "web sites are" (anything). Depends entirely on the (person), food, site in question and in what context.

I could unravel a string of people and characteristics, complete with expletives, that could turn someone into the ultimate racist — that is, not against any particular group or demographic, but against the entire human race.  I could also unleash a list of human beings that will humble anyone with a side-order of amazement at what they do / can do. 

Here's a better way to look at it: people are like a round of golf. For 11-12 holes  you have pretty good reasons to be pissed off and contemplate quitting for life... for another 5-6 holes you're like... "meh, it's OK but I still want to throw my clubs in the lake," and then you hit two perfect shots in a row and eagle-putt a par 5... thus providing the enabling excuse to torture yourself for another year and repeat the cycle. [Am I saying 11-12 out of every 18 human beings you meet deserve to be thrown in a lake? ......... Yeah maybe. Depends on the day. Because other days they deserve to be kicked in the nuts and then thrown in a lake.  And I include in that statement every demographic of human being that has ever walked the earth, just to be clear. No one gets a pass because the entire species is f-ed up in certain respects IMHO. ]

Last edited by Blinny : 1 Week Ago at 06:15 PM.

reply share thread