Lineart for digital painting

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2006   #1
Lineart for digital painting

Hey! Here is an image i made for a project i am starting. It is going to be the first digital painting ill make. I have a wacom tablet to make it. original size is 15 000 pixels wide, i love the school's scanner. yay.
Here it is

Old 11 November 2006   #2
15K? I think it's great that the scanner can output a good scan, however, 1) I think it's overkill for an illustration and 2) as soon as you start to add layers, will your computer even be able to handle it? 4 or 5K should be more than sufficient.

What is your eventual use for the image? Print or web? If it's for print, then my guidelines would hold. I've done 18x24 prints from pieces that were 2500-3000K that looked great.

As far as the art, there were a few things.

The feet on the standing character not only don't look the same size, but not quite the same shape, either...they also appear a bit small for the stature of the character. There is also a foreshortening problem on the weaponless arm.

The scale of the two other characters bothers me. Looking at them, they give me the impression of being much further away than your layout implies. Especially with the one with it's hand on the part of the wall your character lays in wait behind.

Good luck with your piece.
Cris

Old 11 November 2006   #3
The feet are a little wacky, i agree. I will try to fix them when painting. The original scan was 15k wide, but i will reduce it to 4k to paint for sure. i don't really understand what you mean about the characters... can you explain a bit more?

Old 11 November 2006   #4
Check the perpective on your piece. Do a quick sketch of your characters side by side so you see the relative size of each to the others. Now you can see if you've sized them properly in the scene and make sure you have enough distance. Coloration and perspecitive will help do that. Remember that anything below the horizon, you're going to see the top of and you're showing the can on the right as though you're looking up. Establish your horizon.

Cris

Old 11 November 2006   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread